Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi A6 S6 V8 engine removal
Simon

posted on 16/10/19 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Audi A6 S6 V8 engine removal

Bought a Beetle 1303 that will initially be a body resto. Once I am happy with that, I will start making changes along the lines of mid-engined V8.

I sold the Beetle box for £170, bought a 5 speed Boxster gearbox for £120 (bolts straight to V8 apparently). Now, I've been offered an A6 V8 for £500. Engine is ok but needs timing belt/chain (I trust seller as he services my car etc).

Trouble is, I don't want to spend days taking car apart for bits I want - tempted to just cut front end off car and bin rest but quite a lot of sellable bits to recoup costs.

Therefore the question is, could I take the engine/box/subframe/driveshafts/uprights/struts out in a day (maybe remove front end bodywork previous eve).

I'm sure there are people on here familiar with Audi querks?

Cheers

S

[Edited on 16/10/19 by Simon]

rusty nuts

posted on 17/10/19 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
No need to cut the front off , it all bolts on and if it isn’t damaged it’s sellable. Depending on the level of your skills and equipment I would expect to get it all out in a day , biggest headache will be disconnecting the wiring if you intend reusing the loom?
nick205

posted on 17/10/19 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
If there is one available for the model of car a Haynes manual might show you what's involved. I've not looked on YouTube, but that can often be a good resource for "teardown" videos showing people doing the same task. I've found handy stuff on there for repairing mine and SWMBOs VAG group cars over the years.

I'd have thought if you do the job by disassembly rather than cutting then the body shell and other bits left over are probably saleable to others. It's surprising what other people want and will pay money for.

fregis

posted on 17/10/19 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Several year ago we used this engine for locost, i if remember everything clearly, it was quite easy remove engine from car - day working one. Remove all front, exhaust, disconect drive shaft, engine loom (dont remember - from engine or from ecu, i gues disconected from ecu).
Main thing engine and gearbox is heavy so need good lifting equipment.
Also engine electric not so difficult to use orginal ecu.
A6/S6 C4 AEC engine was

[Edited on 17/10/19 by fregis]

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

furryeggs

posted on 17/10/19 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
The timing chain on the audi V8 is on the back of the engine. It’s the chain guides that tend to go bad first, it’s a common issue apparently. Rather than change them some people use a thicker oil to dampen the chain slap noise. To do the guides/chain it’s an engine out job and expensive, if it’s coming out anyway then I’d get them changed whilst it’s out.
obfripper

posted on 17/10/19 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
If it's an early (-2005) car it will have a timing belt, it has similar heads to a 1.8 20v, with 1 mirrored.
The belt's easy to do, but needs the alignment tool between the 2 cam sprockets to set correctly and a tdc pin/plug.
There is a small chain in each head that drives the inlet cam, it also provides variable cam timing via offsetting the chain tensioner mechanism, if this rattles it will want sorting out while it's accessible.

Once the bumper's off, the rest of the front end comes apart fine, the a/c will want discharging/disconnecting to swing the front panel out the way of the engine coming out.

Dave

Simon

posted on 17/10/19 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all for replies - may acquire fairly shortly so will include on my blog!
Simon

posted on 24/10/19 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Not bad for £500

[img][/i mg]

[Edited on 24/10/19 by Simon]

nick205

posted on 25/10/19 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Not bad at all!

There must be £500+ value in scrap metal and parts on that.

If the engine stands you for another build project then money well spent IMHO.

coyoteboy

posted on 25/10/19 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I paid 350 for an engine from one of these, from a reputable VAG breaker online. It arrived having been rolled over and flooded with the (un-drained) engine oil, royally cheesing off the wagon driver who now had a flood of used oil in the back of his wagon.

I spent £50 replacing broken bits.

You did well.

[Edited on 25/10/19 by coyoteboy]

Simon

posted on 25/10/19 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at using the engine/box, front and rear suspension (rear I'll replace diff with transaxle), steering column, ecu etc etc then stick the shell with all body panels/doors interior etc on ebay and hope to get some of my money back

Just need to find time to strip it down.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.