Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec-SE Plug problems
RichN

posted on 6/9/20 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec-SE Plug problems

Morning everybody. I would like some advice please?

I have a Sylva Riot with a 1996 1.25 Zetec-SE engine from a Fiesta. Recently I've had the cambelt and plugs changed by my local garage. After running for about an hour the car started missing (bucking and jerking) so I took it back to the garage who replaced the plugs again because No. 2 plug was carboned up. So I've been out this morning and it has started missing again after a 45 minutes.

My thinking is that it could be the fuel injector on No.2 cylinder. Is this a possibility? If so how easy is it to replace?

Thanks

rusty nuts

posted on 6/9/20 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
My first check would be for a faulty coil or HT lead, you can swap the leads over for cycle 2 and 3 at the coil, if the fault transfers to no 3 the coil is the likely suspect. Changing injectors should be a straightforward job if it turns out to be an injector fault. Change the plug and get your garage to check the emissions, a high HC reading could be an indication?
RichN

posted on 6/9/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

The plugs that have been put in are NGK and have a gap of 1.0mm, the recommended gap is 1.3mm. I am going to replace with genuine Motorcraft plugs which have a gap of 1.3mm and see where that gets me.

The car runs fine for a while and then starts hestitating. I also had an error code P0132 for the O2 sensor that wasn't there before. I've cleared that and it has not come back.

I will probably need a diagnostic to fully check it out if the plugs don't work.

britishtrident

posted on 6/9/20 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Coil pack insulation would be my suspect

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RichN

posted on 6/9/20 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, it's the original Motorcraft Coil Pack. Is there anything obvious that I can check to confirm the coil pack is faulty?

Could the new plugs have caused the pack to start failing?

[Edited on 6/9/20 by RichN]

SteveWalker

posted on 6/9/20 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Moving things to get at the plugs may well have caused the problem (already developing) to appear now.
RichN

posted on 6/9/20 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
That's a possibility. If the replacement plugs don't work then a new pack and HT leads may be in order.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/9/20 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ht leads Have been disturbed so more than likely them coil packs aren’t expensive so worth fitting a new one if it’s old
perksy

posted on 6/9/20 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC Ford changed the plug gaps on these to the smaller size as there were reports of coil failures at the larger gap size

Nothing wrong with NGK plugs and they should be fine

I'd be checking the coil pack and associated wiring

Move things around and see if the missfire moves to another cylinder, that will help find the issue

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.