Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva J15/J16/Vectis front end clearance
CC Cyclone

posted on 12/12/20 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
We started out with salvaged parts of a fire damaged Raffo Belva. It has come a long way since then, the only I modified panel is the front hatch cover. All four wings have been cut off and reprofiled, not to mention stretching it through the doors 100mm to match the wheelbase of the J16.

The problem is it is very much ongoing, i do one thing and then realise it changes everything and something we had already ‘finished’ needs a tweak to make it all look right together. We have been at it 5 years so far and still not finished the bodywork mods. There is an 800 post build diary on Kitnet if anyone is a member and one or two videos.

Still a very long way to go, I must be mad.

https://youtu.be/fQYPZvmCOtk

Kdempsie

posted on 12/12/20 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Guy,

I’ve measured mine and it’s 290mm from the wheel centre to the horizontal edge at the front of the wheel arch. My car is currently on axle stands so it might be a bit closer on the ground.

Keith.

davetheboat

posted on 12/12/20 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Guy

Mines a J15 on ford bits. Have always assumed the wheel offsets would be different?

From the measurement Keith has supplied looks like I may need to move my bodywork back! Mine currently measures 300mm its also on stands & I moved it forward by 10mm. Fortunately haven't hinged the front clam yet.

Obviously need to look again at wheel/tyre choices to get the clearance issues sorted before going any further.

David

davetheboat

posted on 12/12/20 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just done a wheel size comparison.

The build wheel's I have been using are 1" larger in diameter than Keith's 185/60 R13's So definitely need to move my bodywork back.

Keith do your 185/60R13's clear the body work when turned to full lock whilst on the stands? & do you happen to know the offset?

Thanks for the help its certainly helping me. Hope its helping Guy too it was his post originally after all. .

David

Kdempsie

posted on 12/12/20 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yes everything clears OK through the whole suspension movement. I’ll need to double check what offset the wheels are. I’ll look it up and let you know.
peter030371

posted on 13/12/20 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davetheboat
Know what you mean I do like the look of 13's suits the car.
But will they fit over sierra callipers? The kit came with rebuilt sierra callipers so had intended to use them.

David

Many Strikers run 13" wheels over Sierra brakes. It is tight and some 13" wheels are to small but CXR and Team Dynamics pro race (if you can still find some) fit.

Kdempsie

posted on 13/12/20 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
My front wheels are 13” diameter, 6” wide and ET32mm offset.

Keith.

davetheboat

posted on 13/12/20 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys that's a great help.

Now to start the search for wheels

David

Kdempsie

posted on 19/12/20 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kdempsie
My front wheels are 13” diameter, 6” wide and ET32mm offset.

Keith.

I need to make a correction to this, my front wheels are 6" wide with ET24 offset.

I happened to have them off the car and decided to give them a good clean and noticed the stamping marks.

My initial email discussion with Compomotive was around the 32mm offset for reasons that I no longer remember.

Keith

guyschofield

posted on 19/12/20 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
@CC Cyclone,

Yeah, I thought so...and I'm not sure how!
I've got the same original MGF wheels on at the moment and they barely clear the wheelarches even with the steering dead straight ahead. I've ordered 185/55/R14 tyres for the 14" wheels I've got so maybe it'll all come clear!

Cheers,
Guy

davetheboat

posted on 19/12/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the update Keith.

I've tracked down a 13" x 6" rim with et32 offset (Mk1 Xr2) it should arrive early next week. it looks like ET24 will give me about the same projection as the puma wheels which may be ok?
Will have to have look in the garage when I get chance. On the bright side ET24 seem to be much easier to get than ET32

David

guyschofield

posted on 19/12/20 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hello chaps,

Sorry, I just realised I missed a load of replies, thanks a lot!

Keith, thanks: I'll measure up mine tomorrow and see where I am!

CC Cyclone: that looks like a massive but awesome project. Are you going with the K-series engine then?

Davetheboat: I'd assume the offsets will be different as the hubs are different but I've just realised that although I've always assumed the J15 and J16 bodies are exactly the same but actually I don't know if that's the case. Is the J15 and J16 wheelbase exactly the same? The front suspension's quite different isn't it? Did Jeremy use the same body mouldings without any adaptations?

Thanks for all your info so far guys, as a newbie it's great to see there's a few folks with these cars active on the forum!

Cheers,
Guy

guyschofield

posted on 19/12/20 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hello chaps,

Sorry, I just realised I missed a load of replies, thanks a lot!

Keith, thanks: I'll measure up mine tomorrow and see where I am!

CC Cyclone: that looks like a massive but awesome project. Are you going with the K-series engine then?

Davetheboat: I'd assume the offsets will be different as the hubs are different but I've just realised that although I've always assumed the J15 and J16 bodies are exactly the same but actually I don't know if that's the case. Is the J15 and J16 wheelbase exactly the same? The front suspension's quite different isn't it? Did Jeremy use the same body mouldings without any adaptations?

Thanks for all your info so far guys, as a newbie it's great to see there's a few folks with these cars active on the forum!

Cheers,
Guy

davetheboat

posted on 19/12/20 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Guy

Not certain but had also assumed the bodywork was the same. Cant see Jeremy going to the trouble of making two sets of bodywork. I guess he just made the changes to suspension etc so they matched? Suspension is indeed different both ends.

David

[Edited on 19/12/20 by davetheboat]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.