Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nose cone fitting
Jeano

posted on 23/8/23 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Nose cone fitting

Im refitting my nose cone. i believe people mount them underneath and two bolts to the chasis just where the bonnet sits?

i cannot fit the bolts into the chasis due to obstruction of my engine fitting. i also have flared wheel archs so my orginal plan of bonnet catches wont work as its not flush, any other thoughts or ideas?

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

40inches

posted on 23/8/23 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I hinged mine at the bottom, with Dzus fasteners at the top/back.
Photos are in my archive, in the "nose cone" folder.

Jeano

posted on 23/8/23 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot hinge the bottom due to my supercharger setup i need to hook it over my external airfilter.

The Dzus fastners also i wasnt a fan of as i used to catch them on my bodywork and im concerned if it donsnt sit right it will scratch my paintwork

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

Deckman001

posted on 23/8/23 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've bolted the nose cone return flange that sits onto the chassis rail, I used a hex head bolt so that it's really easy to remove, and used a roof tek rubber washer to allow some movement for driving over bumps it also stops the bolt coming undone.
Partofthechaos

posted on 23/8/23 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

I like that very neat! I was hoping to do something like this with mine, but they must have changed the nose cone or the chassis, there is about 100mm between the two and according the manual I need a z shaped bracket to joint them. I suspect that something hinged may not be ridgid enough. I will see when I get to that point.

Slater

posted on 24/8/23 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
I've bolted the nose cone return flange that sits onto the chassis rail, I used a hex head bolt so that it's really easy to remove, and used a roof tek rubber washer to allow some movement for driving over bumps it also stops the bolt coming undone.

I did this, but fitted a wingnut on the bolt, screwed right up to the hex head, so it can be undone by hand easily. Works a treat, no tools required. Rivnut in the chassis rail too.

JAG

posted on 24/8/23 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
My nose cone slides over the radiator and top hose and is then attached to the chassis by two Dzus fasteners.

The Dzus attach to brackets on the top tubes of the chassis, either side of the engine.

No other fixings involved and it's been like that for the past 10 years. Seems to work fine and is very simple to get on and off

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

ReMan

posted on 31/8/23 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Ditto, standard stainless hinges between cone and chassis, a check strap and 2 wing head dzus onto the top chase rail hidden inside
About donex5
About donex5

nick205

posted on 31/8/23 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Fitted my MK Indy nose cone with a couple of rivnuts (one in each top chassis rail) then secured the nose cone with stainless cap head set screw and penny washers on the inside lip. Perfectly secure and invisible from the outside.

Fitted the scuttle first, then bonnet, then nose cone to get the positioning right.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.