Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rough estimate for a side respray
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/23 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
rough estimate for a side respray

Hi,

What do you think would be a rough estimate for a respray of the side of my volvo s60? there's no rust or dent's but it needs a coat of base metallic blue and a gloss coat as it's dulled and the front door colour is a shade too dark.

I'm going take it up to our local (very local) paint shop but not sure where to start the haggling...

Cheers.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 4/12/23 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Your looking at £200-£300 per panel in my recent experience
nick205

posted on 4/12/23 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Having the bonnet of my B6 Passat resprayed a few years back (Black, no rust, few stone chips on leading edge) was £160 at a local vehicle painter. That included them buying in the paint from VW as they didn't carry keep it in stock. Excellent work done, bonnet looked pretty much factory new when done.
gremlin1234

posted on 4/12/23 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps you could wrap it?
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/23 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that gives me a starting point. Just about to take the car up.

Thanks but I don't want to wrap the car as I want to keep it original ( a little restoration project for me...)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 4/12/23 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Having the bonnet of my B6 Passat resprayed a few years back (Black, no rust, few stone chips on leading edge) was £160 at a local vehicle painter. That included them buying in the paint from VW as they didn't carry keep it in stock. Excellent work done, bonnet looked pretty much factory new when done.

Mind if I ask where?

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/23 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm he was looking for about £600 for the job, too much for a 15 year old car. Have ordered paint and will do it myself.
sebastiaan

posted on 5/12/23 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
is that 4 panels (2 doors, 2 wings) ? If so, 600 seems cheap and if you need to buy materials you may not land much below that (basecoat, clear, prep supplies, respirator cartridges, it all adds up quickly. Unless you graffiti-paint this one as well of course.
nick205

posted on 5/12/23 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Mind if I ask where?

It was a one man band just outside Basingstoke in a place called Cliddesden. He's since retired and no longer operates.

Sorry I can't be more help on that one!

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/23 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
is that 4 panels (2 doors, 2 wings) ? If so, 600 seems cheap and if you need to buy materials you may not land much below that (basecoat, clear, prep supplies, respirator cartridges, it all adds up quickly. Unless you graffiti-paint this one as well of course.

Hi, it's the front wing both doors and the rear quarter panel with a little on the rear bumper. I'm just going to use rattle cans and do a panel at a time. I've now bought the paint which was £74 all in. I have access to a spare garage over Christmas and will set up a nice warm air heater and will just take my time. Cheers.

ReMan

posted on 5/12/23 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan

Yes that is cheap, or should we say very reasonable.
I’ve just spent £1500 (inc VAT) on a whole front end repaint of my other toy! And it’s 20 years old
It’s just off to have PPF fitted now and that’s almost the same price

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/23 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm maybe, but still too much... he also wanted to take the paint right back to primer as he said it may react, no f&ckin way is that happening. The paints perfectly sound and I have ordered from the original supplier who sold me the first paint so it won't react.
MikeR

posted on 6/12/23 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
On this topic, any ideas of the cost of respraying a seven or wrapping one?
pewe

posted on 18/12/23 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hmm he was looking for about £600 for the job, too much for a 15 year old car. Have ordered paint and will do it myself.

Might be worth asking around.
On the hairdresser's when some numpty backed into the rear wing at a car meet I had quotes ranging from £300 -£1000.
Eventually had a paintless repair guy return it to almost perfic for £200.
No car body work is cheap nowadays!

coyoteboy

posted on 19/12/23 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I had mine done on an insurance job, woman sideswiped me on a tight dual cabbage way (light scratches on both front and rear wings, bumper and door). They charged the insurance Co about 1600 according to the chat we had, but I never saw the invoice.
JoelP

posted on 19/12/23 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
On this topic, any ideas of the cost of respraying a seven or wrapping one?

My friend keeps telling me to leave my 7 with him, says he wants to go crazy with it. He's really good at bodywork. I don't fancy either the cost, or the alternative of owing him building work (he wanted a bathroom fitting last time we exchanged labour!)

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.