Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Body colours - Traditional Tourer
russbost

posted on 12/2/24 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Body colours - Traditional Tourer

Morning gents,

Some of you may remember I bought an NG Henley Pastiche last year, pictured below. Paint looks decent in the pics, but it's actually rubbish as is flat & full of microblisters, so the time has come for paint - I have it all stripped to a bare shell & will pint the wings etc. separately. Question is, what colour?

I'm thinking 2 tone & probably red & black, though open to other suggestions.

If going red & black, then black body & sides & red wings/running boards or vice versa? I also though I might paint the bonnet tops in the same colour as the wings to give a contrast on the main body. The car is still basically as pictured except I've added a roll hoop, which could be in body colour or something contrasting, same with the headlight shells

What are the thoughts of the LCB massif? Any suggestions welcome & any pics of any similar Tourer type cars in appealing colours welcome, I can't really find any images of anything similar to get a good idea of how it would look?

All input appreciated, thanks Russ

[img] NG front
NG front
[/img]

NG Side
NG Side

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 12/2/24 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
No input on colours from me, but I'd be going body one colour with arches and running boards another colour.
Rod Ends

posted on 12/2/24 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Two-tone style:

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/2/24 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Google images suggests two tone was a not the dominant coloutr scheme.
Pesonally, a good BRG is always tasty. Burgandy/cream works well, but not really purposeful.

russbost

posted on 13/2/24 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
No, I couldn't find much on Google images, which I find odd as I know I've seen a lot of cars at shows with two tone paint.

About the only car that seems to come up regularly is the Panther as pictured above, they all stopped the 2nd colour on the door as pic., I assume there must be a body line there as otherwise that would be an odd place to break the colour

Anyone a dab hand with photoshop & can "paint" it both ways to show what it would look like?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 13/2/24 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ferrari red with cream side panels. Its a lovely car btw with loads of potential

But... if it was mine I'd -

1) Fit a proper chrome grill (a quality heavy mesh would do)
2) Totally ditch those alloys and fit painted steels (red outers, cream centers with chrome hub caps.
3) Paint the suspension black.
4) Fit chrome MGB bumpers with over riders.
5) Fit side window air deflectors, will make a massive difference to wind buffet.

I had a JBA Falcon sports that looked very similar and it was a fantastic fun car, I wish I could afford to buy another.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 15/2/24 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe predictable/dull but having Googled Lima Panther and NG Henley I would say wire wheels and BRG does look the way to go…Other simple, rich, colours look good too, pillar box red, or the kind of blue you already have.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/24 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I do like the less than level headlamps

Is there a hood option for this car? I had one for my Falcon and although it was a tight squeeze, it made the car very practical, that and the powerful Cortina heater. It had bolt on side window frames made from alloy channel and sliding glass. They were fine but the long bolts through the top of the door were time consuming to remove but the windows could be stored behind the seats. I used it for about 5 years as my everyday driver. The only thing I'd have changed was a limited slip diff as it was hard to drive in the snow being so light at the back and I spun it a couple of times, fortunately without damage.

My only advice would be absolutely do not sell it!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 18/2/24 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I do like the less than level headlamps

Is there a hood option for this car? I had one for my Falcon and although it was a tight squeeze, it made the car very practical, that and the powerful Cortina heater. It had bolt on side window frames made from alloy channel and sliding glass. They were fine but the long bolts through the top of the door were time consuming to remove but the windows could be stored behind the seats. I used it for about 5 years as my everyday driver. The only thing I'd have changed was a limited slip diff as it was hard to drive in the snow being so light at the back and I spun it a couple of times, fortunately without damage.

My only advice would be absolutely do not sell it!

I think the less than level headlamps is probably a quirk of the picture, but it's possible that the NSF wing was slightly lower than the OS, I know the support isn't as stiff that side, I need to weld a triangulation to the brackets, but won't do it until it all goes back together as I don't know for sure if the NS is spot on where it should be either!

There is a hood option & there seems to be a very good NG owners network, so I might be able to get one, but not at all sure it would fit with the roll hoop I've now installed. I'm not mad about a hood as if the weather is dire I won't be driving it (other than getting caught out, in which case both you & car would be soaked by the time the hood was up anyway!

No plans on selling it in the short term, but, thereagain, should something else that tickles my fancy come up .....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.