Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nose cone help needed
lsdweb

posted on 22/2/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nose cone help needed

Hi All

Apologies for another nose cone message. I've fitted a Zetec to my previously Cross Flow powered Locost and had to make a temporary modification to the bonnet to clear the cam belt etc.

Having decided to renew the bonnet, Iwant to replace the nose with a higher item so that I can have a smooth bonnet line. I've done some research but can't seem to find the height of the noses available out there. I need a height of about 8.5" - I have 7.5" with my current nose - the attached picture should make that clear.

The chassis is 'standard book' with a width of 24" between the nose mounting lugs.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks.

Wyn Rescued attachment P1010024.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010024.JPG

Peteff

posted on 22/2/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Put some 1" rhs on the top rails and raise your present nosecone to the level you want it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 22/2/05 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
not forgetting the scuttle Pete.... which in turn raises the bonnet...

James

posted on 22/2/05 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
GTS' nose cone is definately taller than that. I think the one for their Locost car is about 10" and GTS' own car is 11".

Check with Darren,

HTH,
James

Peteff

posted on 22/2/05 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
not forgetting the scuttle Pete.... which in turn raises the bonnet.

If the engine's higher than the scuttle he's in trouble. The bonnet's got to be remade anyway if he gets a different nosecone. It'll just give a flatter line from front to scuttle.

[Edited on 22/2/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

lsdweb

posted on 22/2/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys

Thanks for the instant responses!

I had considered raising the nose an inch but this would bring the front of the nose too high (at its lowest point) and would expose the front lower chassis rail and bottom of the rad (just).

I must have got a very small nose (not in real life unfortunately!) and may have to try a new item - I'll try Darren tomorrow.

Many thanks

Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 22/2/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this helps but the top of the nose does look really low....... Rescued attachment P1010002.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010002.JPG

Marcus

posted on 22/2/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Was going to say cover bottom of chassis with number plate, but then realised it's a race car, oh well!!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 23/2/05 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Marcus - that's a very good idea -
the car is road legal and runs in the road going class - the front number plate does actually cover the bottom rail. Thanks!

lsdweb

posted on 28/2/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've ordered a new nose today with a height at the centre of 9" - I'll post an update when it's sorted.

Wyn

Hellfire

posted on 28/2/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
LSDWEB - re: your picture.... what nose???

Danozeman

posted on 28/2/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I like the cats tail! The front does look fairly angled down..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

lsdweb

posted on 1/3/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hellfire - the nose is from lolocost - I don't know what the quality is like but the dimensions are right!
Lolocost

Danozeman - my cat gets in most pictures! I'm hoping that the new nose won't spoil the looks of the car too much - I don't suppose it can be as bad as the cam pulleys on my Zetec , or the old air filter (when the car had a crossflow as in the pic) poking through the bonnet!

Best of luck with the build!

Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 7/3/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire

The nose, after some serious modifications to ensure the lower chassis rail is covered, fits reasonably well . It has quite a slope, which may cause some concerns when I come to make the bonnet. I'll post some pictures if you're interested?

Regards

Wyn

NS Dev

posted on 8/3/05 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I am building a Stuart Taylor car, which I presume from the stickers is what yours is. The nose/bonnet/scuttle are all very low on these cars, I have just managed to get my Vauxhall Xe 16v engine (taller than Zetec) under the bonnet/nosecone, but looking at it, it would seem to be dimensionally very similar to a caterham, I am using a Caterham HPC sump and have very little ground clearance (3.5" under the bellhousing by the flywheel).

Basically, the bodywork on these cars looks superb (i.e. rather like a Caterham) but is very limited in terms of engine height!

lsdweb

posted on 10/3/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
And here's how it looks.

I've still got to finish the grill area and fit the indicators though. Rescued attachment 10-03-05_0745.jpg
Rescued attachment 10-03-05_0745.jpg

James

posted on 10/3/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
And here's how it looks.

You should be careful with the Lolocost ones- a bunch of them I've seen are wonky and also have a raised 'bump' in the middle of the front of them.

Hopefully yours is ok.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

lsdweb

posted on 10/3/05 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks James

The nose looks OK to me and any raised bump would give me more clearance! I'm not the fussiest person, however, and the car is used only for sprints / racing so I'm not too concerned over the looks!

Wyn

MikeR

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Just seen the thread - where did you get the 9" nose from?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.