Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need to make a rivet choice
andyace

posted on 1/5/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Need to make a rivet choice

I have just got my GTS chassis and need to decide on my choice of rivet. Ideally I want a general purpose size that fits all uses so I do not have to buy loads of sizes.

For the floorpan I am thinking 4.8mm Aluminium Sealed. What length should I be buying? is 11mm ok?

Would the above be ok for all the other panels or should I look at countersun/flat for panels on display?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/5/05 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Although i welded my floor in, i used 3.2mm x 10mm rivets everywhere else

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RazMan

posted on 1/5/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you are using an ally floor, use 5mm rivets with an extra large head (CBS do these). 3mm will be fine for most other panels. Either way, just make sure that you bond the panels with PU adhesive and you will have a rattle free and strong chassis assembly.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 1/5/05 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Personally - we used 5mm large head for floor. We use 4mm standard for 'most' other things and 3mm for a few things.

If I was you I would go for 200 large 5mm
100 x 4mm standard
50 3mm standard

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Agree entirely with hellfire on the sizes, these are what I used (including the floor ones, although mine were not etra large head ones for the floor.

All the rivets really should be closed end (sealed) ones.

Would say the numbers that hellfire mentioned would be very much on the low side though!

I used 200 ish 5mm ones for the floor, but have used another 500 4mm ones so far on bodywork etc (though mine is ally sides and rear panel etc, grp would use less I suppose)

andyace

posted on 3/5/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Thanks for that,

Looks like 5mm, sealed, Ali then for the floor

What spacing should I use on the floor for 5mm rivets, I was thinking every 30mm. I intend to PU adhesive it as well ?

Where do you get hold of 5mm sealed ? Fastfix only do up to 4.8mm sealed.

Also what length do I go for ?

DaveFJ

posted on 3/5/05 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
This has been discussed many times before. If you do a quick search you should find several threads and a lot of conflicting advice

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/05 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would say 30mm spacing would be fine, mine are probably nearer 40mm (with PU too)

I think we are talking the same thing sizewise, 5mm = 4.8mm, both derived from imperial so really you are asking for 3/16" rivets (pretty sure this is what I used)

Just for a bit of clarification, rivets are actually 1/8", 5/32" or 3/16" (in sizes typically used on a "locost" and these are now referred to as 3.2mm, 4mm and 4.8 (or 5mm) in modern lingo.

chrisf

posted on 3/5/05 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I used 1/8" structural Cherry Q blind rivets for the floor and rear panel. They are certainly not the cheapest choice. I read in an aircraft document that rivets need to be spaced on 8Xs the rivet diameter, so I spaced my rivets slightly under 1" spacing. As for the grip length, I used this page as a guide.

Ideally, I think the Cherry Max product line is the best choice, but those are rather expensive.

--HTH, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 3/5/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
50mm was about right for me - some guys like to space them even further apart but I found that it stops the panels 'puckering' between rivets. If you are using PU adhesive it is largely academic anyway as the PU will probably be stronger than the rivets - if you have tried to remove a PU'd panel you will know what I mean.

I also feel that it is a fine line between having enough rivets or drilling too many holes and therefore weakening the chassis.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Hellfire

posted on 4/5/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Our floor spacing was approximately 50mm - PU'd and agree that the PU is prolly stronger than the combined strength of the rivets

Job done!

Avoneer

posted on 4/5/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've used 3.2 x 10 on everything on my car including the floor and 3000 miles later, all is still well (and I have much smaller holes in my chassis).
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

irvined

posted on 8/5/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've used 4x10mm sealed on everything, although i welded the floor in. Between riveting in tranny tunnel, dropping them on the floor, and the ali side panels etc, I've used over 700, but i suspect i've dropped a shedload.

I guess it comes down to how much of a gap you leave, i did 1" on the tunnel and seat back panel, and 2-4" everywhere else.

HTH

D

http://irvined.blogspot.com

andyace

posted on 9/5/05 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
For the tran tunnel and seat back did anyone use countersunk rivets or just normal domed?

I am now thinking of using 4mm alu sealed on all fixings with PU adhesive to the floor.

I just need to know if it looks better to use countersunk on the visible rivets.

Many thanks.

DaveFJ

posted on 9/5/05 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to use countersunk you will need some fairly thick ally sheet - probably not worth it.

I used countersunks on the outer edges of the floor to allow the Avon GRP tub edges to wrap around easily but my floor panels are 2.6mm thick. In all other places i used 3.2mm structural rivets and 4.8mm where a little extra strength was needed.

rivetc closeup
rivetc closeup

[Edited on 9/5/05 by DaveFJ]

Dave

andyace

posted on 11/5/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Got a quote for rivets see below, just a quick question, firstly is this price ok and secondly what is the 'grip' length. If this is the thickness of material it can rivet then is this length ok ?

4.8 x 11 sealed aluminium rivets - grip 4.5 - 6mm Qty 500
Prices per 1000
Aluminium Body / Steel Mandrel £14.19
Aluminiumj Body/ Stainless Mandrel £44.00
All stainless steel £53.57

Triton

posted on 11/5/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
ask that expert from kit car crisis programme.....seems to know it all
DaveFJ

posted on 11/5/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
paid £40 per 100 for mine....

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.