Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: All aluminium scuttle
eenud

posted on 22/12/02 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
All aluminium scuttle

Has anyone made an all aluminium scuttle as a ca####am. If so how did you acheive the swageged section for the rear edge of the bonet, followed by a 90 deg bend down to the bulkhead. It all seems to be one peice of metal with the only joint being onto the bulkhead. I can not figure out how to mage this at home?
Stu16v

posted on 22/12/02 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have made an all ali scuttle, and at first was also stumped at getting the lip for the bonnet to sit on. After a bit of head scratching and a couple of Stellas, I arrived at a solution.
Make your scuttle, without worrying about trying to form the lip. To form the 'lip', I obtained some 3/4 aluminium angle, and bent it to the same shape as the front of the scuttle, minus the gap required for the bonnet to sit on. One side is used for the bonnet, the other is used to rivet to the scuttle. Obviously, the angle isnt too keen on bending, so I cut away a portion of the angle where the bends were required. When I was happy with the fit, it was rivetted to the scuttle, with sealer/adhesive in between to help hold in place and prevent water ingress. Sorry no digi camera, else I would post some piccys (but who knows what Santa might bring )

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

eenud

posted on 28/12/02 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Stu,

That might be the way to go. What gauge of alloy did you use and do you have a row of rivets around the edge of the scuttle?

Cheers Ian

Stu16v

posted on 28/12/02 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I made a tubular frame for the back edge of the scuttle (similar sort of technique as used on top of boot area) and bonded it on with Sikaflex, and bent around the tube. The tube gives some rigidity to the structure, and is handy to weld lugs too to mount the dashboard. The front half of the scuttle can be shaped using a wooden jig, which can also be used to fold the tangs (flaps) which are bent around so the front section can be panelled in with a few rivets fired in to temporarily hold things together whilst more Sikaflex goes off.P.s. dont forget to remove the wood from the inside once this is complete! Once Sikaflex is dry, drill out rivets, make shaped angle section for bonnet, and bond and rivet on through the three layers (angle, front panel of scuttle, and flaps of top section of scuttle). And hey presto, no rivets showing

Dont just build it.....make it!

eenud

posted on 28/12/02 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
it becomes clear.

I see, the angle faces outwards. I had assumed that the angle faced inwards and under the scuttle. I pick my chassis up next week so the pontification ends and the blood and tears begin.

Thanks Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.