Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake vents on with enclosed bodywork
JoelP

posted on 10/7/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
brake vents on with enclosed bodywork

hi all. Just scheming for the next build here. I was wondering if the vents you see on many LMP style cars, in front and behind of the front wheels, are actually required for ventilation of the front brakes, or are they more aesthetic?

i was considering the possibility of having no hole in front, but a small hole behind, to try to suck air out without specifically ducting any at the discs. The aim of this being twofold, to leave the front more aerodynamic and to slightly reduce the pressure under the front end to keep it down better.

any thoughts? obviously none of us have wind tunnels, so educated guesses will do!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Guinness

posted on 10/7/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
JoelP

I think it depends on the type of brakes, loadings etc.

I saw this photo of the Apollo Gumpert thing. Hopefully you can make out the shape of the nose from the massive splitter. This appears to have a radiator at each side and a void in the middle. Behind that void is are a couple of 4 or 5" diameter hoses or ducts running straight into the brakes themselves.

Apollo Front
Apollo Front

I'm guessing this is a big buck brake set up, but as the car has a design maximuum top speed of 224mph, you'd want to have confidence in them?

HTH

Mike

P.S. That splitter looks to be about an inch thick in other shots, but helps generate 600kg of downforce on the front axle alone.

RazMan

posted on 10/7/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm fairly sure the vents at the rear of the front arches are to relieve the high pressure area under the arch, therefore making the whole car a little more aerodynamic (in theory)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 11/7/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
i think the solution is small discrete piping to the front and small vents at the rear. cheers for the opinions guys

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.