Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Wheel Arches
chrisg

posted on 5/4/02 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Wheel Arches

Hello people,

If you need to make special width rear wheel arches to fit you particular set of components, you can see how I did it(oooer missus!)at:-

http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk

Buildtips > miscellaneous > making rear wheel arches.

Enjoy!!

Cheers

Chris

theconrodkid

posted on 6/4/02 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yo Chris i visited your site,very interesting especialy bout painting fiberglass,why didnt you tell me before i used all the paint after several attempts to get rid of the repair marks?

chrisg

posted on 6/4/02 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Pay more attention at the back there!!!!

Cheers

Chris

theconrodkid

posted on 6/4/02 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yes sir!
andyd

posted on 7/4/02 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
So Chris...

What prep should be done to virgin GRP that has a gel coat that I'm not happy with?

I intend to go with the same colour as the gel coat (black). The reason for spraying rather than leaving is that some parts of the gel coat are naff to say the least.

Which would be better, two-pack or cellulose in this case?

TIA

chrisg

posted on 7/4/02 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy,

any repairs to the gel coat need to be done properly as any blemishes wont be covered by the paint- you'll just have shiney blemishes!

When you're happy flat the whole panel with 600 grit used wet, and dry THOUROUGHLY, I'd leave it somewhere warm for a day or so, cos water gets in the weave of the unfinished side and it comes out as micro blisters in the paint in about a month.

Next apply two coats of primer, etch primer if you have it, you may have to flat the primer again, and at least 3 coats of your top coat.

Once the paint is properly cured (two weeks at least)any runs etc can be flatted ouy using 1500 grit wet and dry followed by compound, t-cut and finally polish.

Good luck, black is THE worst colour to use and get right, I know it's a cliche but" the more effort expended in a paint job, the better the finish" to qoute Mr Haynes

I would stick with Cellolose, unless you have the proper facillities for two pack, it's very poisionous and although for a one off you'd probably be ok, why take the risk?

Cheers

Chris

P.S read the guide on my website
http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk > GRP

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/4/02 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck, black is THE worst colour to use and get right, I know it's a cliche but" the more effort expended in a paint job, the better the finish" to qoute Mr Haynes

I have heard that metallic silder can also turn in to a nice disasterous streaked grey finish.

Blue is supposed to be easiest...

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 7/4/02 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean met. silver?, yes all metallics connot be "worked"

Blue's not bad but IMHO white is the easiest ( no prizes for guessing what colour my Porsche is being painted!)

Cheers

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.