Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MR2 Engines
mad_skillz

posted on 31/3/03 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
MR2 Engines

i was looking at the old MR2 and was wondering how suitable it is to use? has any one done it and how hard is it? I know it packs a nice amount of power and they are cheep.
Thanks very much

Chazzy

posted on 2/4/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
See Raw Engineering's web site, they provide bell housing to convert to type 9, exhaust (sexy 4-1) and mapped ignition for twin 45's, red line 8000 an absolute screamer i love it in my stuart taylor chassis, Raw sold the chassis and engine as their Raw Rage, asin 4-age the engine designation from toyota. PS i have no commercial connection to Raw,l just a happy customer.
They can provide the engine ready fro installation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/4/03 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
is that the 4age engine or a close relation?

Go to

http://groups.yahoo.com

and search for locost.

look in the australian group. They use this engine virtually in every locost out there.

atb

steve

eddymcclements

posted on 3/4/03 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
The engine in the Mk1 MR2 is the 4AGE, same as in FWD Corolla GTi-16 and the older RWD Corolla GT. There are detail differences depending on the age of the engine, which was made in 16v form from 83-92. You can read all you ever wanted to know about this motor at Phil Bradshaw's web pages and some more on Bill Sherwood's pages.
In the UK, RAW are the best-known supplier of good, used engines and parts to fit them into Sevens.
It's a suitable engine for the car - compact and fairly light, good power as standard, reliable (allegedly) and looks good.
Have a look at Rob Lane's site since he's running a 4AGE these days.

Cheers,

Eddy

Alan B

posted on 3/4/03 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad_skillz
i was looking at the old MR2 and was wondering how suitable it is to use? has any one done it and how hard is it? I know it packs a nice amount of power and they are cheep.
Thanks very much

Erm...I'm using one, but not how you think...

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

(blatant website plug no.358...)

:-)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 3/4/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Eddy, just checked out your site again...it's looking very nice...great job
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad_skillz

posted on 5/4/03 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
im just looking at other choices to my DOHC 8v becasue there are no tuning parts for it. I want to upgrade in the future when i get some cash. Had a look at the yahoo forum, a bit more technical information which is good. Thanx
Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.