Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiny gas struts?
RazMan

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Tiny gas struts?

I'm looking for some little gas struts - the sort of thing you see on the average tin top's boot or bonnet but smaller.

They are for my middy's gull wing windows (all fibreglass so very light) and need to have a very small rate of pressure or it will distort the window.

I think conventional gas struts will be too powerful or too large so I was wondering if they are used on domestic cupboards or doors etc.

As usual any ideas are appreciated

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Would a sprung loaded thingy be suitable,or is the change in length too much?
dave r

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
rs do a range that you can 'let down' to the pressure you require
JoelP

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
i fit them sometimes in nice kitchens, can get a price if you want. They go on bridging unit doors, and are fairly hard to compress by hand, but feel lighter when a door is attached.
graememk

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
my vectra has some small ones as its a saloon, and i think my old audi had them in the handles in the roof

nib1980

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Gas struts from overhead locker from a plane would be perfect. i think theres a scrappy at biscester that may have some planes. no seriously he might.
RazMan

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i fit them sometimes in nice kitchens, can get a price if you want. They go on bridging unit doors, and are fairly hard to compress by hand, but feel lighter when a door is attached.

Sounds interesting Joel - any idea on size?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
Gas struts from overhead locker from a plane would be perfect. i think theres a scrappy at biscester that may have some planes. no seriously he might.

Really ??

Cheers,
Raz

JoelP

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
at a guess, about 20cm shut and 30 open. I could take a photo tomorrow as im on a job with them now.
RazMan

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly worth a look - a pic would be great

Cheers,
Raz

the_fbi

posted on 25/5/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dave R was right. RS do some very nice ones which you can pump up to exactly the pressure you want.

They are also quite small, about 10-15cm from memory. A guy at work bought some for some odd project but not from RS. I'll find out tomorrow and post a part# as they are in his drawer still.

Hm.. Just spoken to him, apparently they weren't from RS, but he can't remember where from.

[Edited on 25/5/06 by the_fbi]

Mave

posted on 26/5/06 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have some very small ones, which I intend to use for my bootlid. They come from a BMW 3-series convertible. They're used somewhere in the roof. Extended length is something like 20 cm.
RazMan

posted on 26/5/06 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys - RS site is down at the moment so I can't see what they have to offer.
I have found a manufacturer but they are going to be hideously expensive for a pair. I will have a word with a breaker and see what he has.

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 26/5/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Found some in RS but they are £20 each!

They are 160mm long with a 60mm stroke - and adjustable pressure too.

[Edited on 26-5-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

pifular

posted on 26/5/06 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
what about an old roof box, they used to have them in. such as thule. they would have a low pressure due to the weight of the lids.

hth.

RazMan

posted on 26/5/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Good idea, although they tend to be quite long due to the size of the lids. I'll have a look at the ones in Halfrauds to see how they do it.

Cheers,
Raz

the_fbi

posted on 26/5/06 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Found some in RS but they are £20 each!

I believe the ones in RS are the same as the ones we have at work.

From http://www.industrialgassprings.com/

Part number off the ones we have here are GS0001-1 51 04 and they are about 22cm long open and 17cm closed.

They weren't cheap though afaik.

RazMan

posted on 26/5/06 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi

They weren't cheap though afaik.

You are certainly right there!
I gave them a call and was quoted £50 each

Thanks for the suggestion though

Cheers,
Raz

Ian Pearson

posted on 26/5/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I read an article on an RV 7 Kit Plane builders forum about reducing the pressure in some car gas struts being used for an RV 7 canopy. A strut was selected and positioned so that it did not compress fully when the canopy was closed. A small groove was cut near the end of the shaft, and by compressing the strut fully, a small amount of gas was allowed to escape via the small groove as it passed through the seal. The correct pressure was eventually reached after several trial fittings.
RazMan

posted on 27/5/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted

Just went for a mooch round B&Q and one of their kitchen ranges use a little gas strut for their overhead cupboards. Not sure about the pressure it can give yet but it's only £7 and really looks the part - it's even painted silver so it matches my car's interior

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 28/5/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted them today - they work a treat, keeping the window section up at a convenient angle. I might have to install a second one when the polycarbonate window panel is installed due to the extra weight - but that's another day.

[Edited on 28-5-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment door strut.jpg
Rescued attachment door strut.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

Peteff

posted on 29/5/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'd put some spreader plates where the brackets fasten to the edge of the hole to stop it flexing and splitting. There will be a bit of weight resting on the thin bit of fibreglass when the perspex is fitted.

[Edited on 29/5/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RazMan

posted on 29/5/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have fitted the lower pivot on a spreader plate (pop rivetted to the fibreglass frame) but there is a main chassis rail about 20mm further away so I will probably make a bracket to mount it there - that should take care of any flexing.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.