Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vent positions
givemethebighammer

posted on 18/7/06 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Vent positions

Following on from Mark Allanson's post on under bonnet temps, some of the replies made me think that although I have managed to get lots of air into the engine bay via my funnel in the nosecone I should be thinking about getting it out somewhere. The engine does not overheat but the footwells do get hot etc. From what I understand vents in the top of the bonnet are only effective when stationary or at low speeds. Ones in the sides work well at higher speeds. My one concern with ones in the top is that fumes from the engine bay will be blown back over the aeroscreen into the car (not nice). I think that maybe ones in the sides won't have this problem. See the picture below what I am thinking, the thing is do I go for sides, top both ?.

[Edited on 18/7/06 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment vent positions.JPG
Rescued attachment vent positions.JPG

Hellfire

posted on 18/7/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I'd just go for the top ones. The only time the temperatures really rise on our Indy, are when stationary or moving relatively slow.

The only other time they rise are whilst thrashing it on track on hot days.

Phil

[Edited on 18-7-06 by Hellfire]

givemethebighammer

posted on 18/7/06 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Phil, have you noticed any engine fumes being blown into the car after cutting the vents ?
Kissy

posted on 18/7/06 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
What happened to what exits underneath? That's what all tin-tops rely on.
givemethebighammer

posted on 18/7/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kissy
What happened to what exits underneath? That's what all tin-tops rely on.

I guess it is all going underneath and down the tunnel. That's why the footwells get hot. Surely it must be better to get the air out by venting it ?

Marcus

posted on 18/7/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Text My one concern with ones in the top is that fumes from the engine bay will be blown back over the aeroscreen into the car (not nice)

What fumes?

If all your breathers are working properly, you should only get hot air.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 18/7/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
quote:

Text My one concern with ones in the top is that fumes from the engine bay will be blown back over the aeroscreen into the car (not nice)

What fumes?

If all your breathers are working properly, you should only get hot air.

True, but as I've never had my head under the bonnet when the car is moving how will I know ? I don't want to cut a hole in the bonnet to find out.

However I suspect it'll be OK

Marcus

posted on 18/7/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough - reminds me of old pictures of racers in the 1920s / 1930s with black faces and white eyes due to the oil and crap coming out of the engine bay

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smartripper

posted on 18/7/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

I got vents on the side of the bonnet and it's very effective.

The zx12-r is a very hot engine but also when going slow in trafic jam the engine keeps cool below 95 degrees.

Before the tempeture rised too 115 degrees and the fan worked constant.

Daniel

Hellfire

posted on 18/7/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
Phil, have you noticed any engine fumes being blown into the car after cutting the vents ?

No. None whatsoever.

Phil

givemethebighammer

posted on 18/7/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the comments, smartripper do have any photos you can post ?

thanks

I'm leaning towards the three circular holes in each side of the bonnet at the moment. However before I start cutting I'm going to look at a few more photos.

Moorron

posted on 19/7/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
just the topic i needed. i want to get cold air to my filters and also hot air out as the engine bay gets silly hot (mainly after i have stopped). I was going to go for the original mk indy one as my bonnet has nothing at the moment.

I have ordered some naca (spell?) ducts that i was going to fit on the side of the nose cone to get air into the engine bay, then just some holes at the rear most part of the sides of the bonnet. Is this a good idea? someone told me that if the air hitting the lip of the nose cone becomes turbulent it will have the oposite effect and creat a vacume at that point and no air will enter the duct. I am trying to keep it looking smooth (no sticking out vents) and also trying to not have one ontop so water doesnt enter when its raining (stationary).

Any suggestions?

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Smartripper

posted on 19/7/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

I've posted a pictures off my car with the vents in it.

Daniel Rescued attachment Vents.JPG
Rescued attachment Vents.JPG

Rob Palin

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moorron

I have ordered some naca (spell?) ducts that i was going to fit on the side of the nose cone to get air into the engine bay, then just some holes at the rear most part of the sides of the bonnet. Is this a good idea? someone told me that if the air hitting the lip of the nose cone becomes turbulent it will have the oposite effect and creat a vacume at that point and no air will enter the duct. I am trying to keep it looking smooth (no sticking out vents) and also trying to not have one ontop so water doesnt enter when its raining (stationary).

Any suggestions?

The ducts got their name from the predecessor to NASA. The aim is to use a sneaky bit of aerodynamic trickery to get air to go into a vent without the need for a scoop sticking out of the bodywork. They do need to be a fairly specific shape and edge radius to work at their best but it will still help.

I'm guessing you'd be putting them behind the location of the radiator anyway so perhaps somewhere around the same lengthwise location as the headlights? That should be well away from any low pressure areas on the nose so you'd be fine.

Peteff

posted on 20/7/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
The ones on the top will suck air in behind the engine and add to the flow down the tunnel. If you are moving, any fumes will be gone far behind you before you get chance to notice them, if you're standing still they will not blow back anyway.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

givemethebighammer

posted on 31/7/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Went to whole hog and did both in the end. I used a 57mm holesaw, lots of tape and care. I then pressed some steel mesh (B&Q) into small "top hat" shape (thanks for the tip Simon) using a male and female mould made from an offcut of 7mm lexan and a pair of G clamps. Sprayed them black and glued them in with Tigerseal (as Hellfire did with theirs).

The result is the top of the engine bay is much cooler (I can actually touch the brake bias adjuster knob after driving now, before it was too hot). Whether the car runs any better for it I don't know (too soon to tell), but it has to be a good thing getting the hot air out which the modification is evidently doing.

(ps, photo taken with phone, wife has digital camera -I'll post a better pic when she gets back from the outlaws)

[Edited on 31/7/06 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment vents.jpg
Rescued attachment vents.jpg

Moorron

posted on 1/8/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
NICE PHOTO, good to hear its worked also. Can u feel the heat with your hand whilst driving (leaning out of your seat)?

i have give up with the naca ducts, they would look to 'stuck on', if i damage the nose cone i will mould them in for a factory look.

I have drilled 3 holes where u have but only on the sides (for now) using a cone cutter (very smooth for cutting this stuff). Then i had a bright idea, not sure if its too tacky but its undoable if it looks odd. i am in the process of welding 3 small alloy tubes to a plate that will stick out of the holes angled backwards. sort of looks like an exhaust off a spitfire. I did this to b different AND to help the air eascape sue to the angle creating a vacume around the vent. i was unsure from the shape of the bonnet if cold air would enter or hot air would exit, i dont know the airflow at that point.

will post a pic later this week if i have them done.

givemethebighammer

posted on 1/8/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moorron
NICE PHOTO, good to hear its worked also. Can u feel the heat with your hand whilst driving (leaning out of your seat)?

Not a bad photo for a phone in a dim garage with no flash. I can't lean anywhere out of my seat with the six point harnesses on (I can barely touch the top of the dash !). So I think I am just going to have to trust the fact that stuff like the bias adjuster feel much cooler that it is working.

Good luck with your idea, hope works out the way you want it to.

Moorron

posted on 2/8/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
hers my latest work, i just hope it doesnt whisle when drivin lol

Moorron

posted on 2/8/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
erm.. how do i get it to work??

se7ensport

posted on 3/8/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
open the pic, right click, copy the bit which looks like this http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/DSC00743.JPG

then click on the icon that looks like a landscape (yellow background) and paste it in.
new vent1
new vent1

Peteff

posted on 3/8/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Please remember to resize the picture and edit out any ridiculous footwear such as pink flip flops and luminous striped socks before you upload though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Peteff

posted on 3/8/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
You can also

add a picture from your hard drive as an attachment, using the function at the bottom of the reply box by clicking on the browse button, locating the picture and adding it. Rescued attachment horrible sock.JPG
Rescued attachment horrible sock.JPG

yours, Pete

Moorron

posted on 4/8/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
lmao! thats my witch girlfriends foot honest.

i thought that was what i did, i will try again with some more pics later this evening. Cheers

iank

posted on 4/8/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
On another note are those headlights SVA safe? They look like some of of the motorbike lights (Premier and GTS sell/sold) that others have had problems with.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.