Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost ext design cont....
Gaz 1977

posted on 10/4/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
epona

What a plumb i am, i only took one and its not great, it looks odd without lights (as does the front) I had better take some tomorow.

GAZ Rescued attachment 4.jpg
Rescued attachment 4.jpg

the_parson

posted on 11/4/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good.

Have you done six impossible things before breakfast?

Gaz 1977

posted on 11/4/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
EPONA

Started rubbing down the fibreglass today, i didn't realise how bad bit of it was, i needed to finish the clay a bit better me thinks.

There are some strange dips in the body shell that dont appear to be in the mould, is it possible that the gel coat lifted away from the mould?

Thanks

GAZ Rescued attachment 5.jpg
Rescued attachment 5.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I say no, it may have been taken of the mould a tad to early as it takes a couple of weeks for it to harden, a common problem. If the gel coat separated it would look dreadful (really) and the gel coat takes stays softer for even longer than the mat. Don't put to much pressure on it when sanding and best to use lightweight filler like red devil (model shop). It's not so bad as remember that although the model may be 1/4 scale all the blemishes and flash lines are full size

I think it turned out fine. Now you have to sort out the windows, I'd vacuum form those along with the light covers. I you need it I can give you a drawing for a very simple one I use for my plane models.

Keep going I want to see it painted.

and look how far back you sit! Your heads practically in the boot

[Edited on 12/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 12/4/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's coming along nicely. Just an observation....... those windscreen pillars look particularly weak. Would they not also interfere with the opening of the doors?

Phil

Gaz 1977

posted on 13/4/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
epona

Thanks for the offer whippy but i have a vac former at the uni, well 5. one of them might work. (serviceing machines is not a strong point of the uni.) good point about the scale model full size seems, that makes me feel better.

As for the ft piller, i probably should have said that what you can see at the moment is the part that would be painted and visible from the outside. There would be a lip that the screen would be attached to, so, it will be bigger then it appears at the moment. I hope that makes sense, i am not too sure it does.

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Gaz 1977

posted on 13/4/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Epona at Stoneleigh

For anybody who is interested and able to go, I have today received confirmation of a space at Stoneleigh to display my model/design.

It will be on the Complete Kit Car Magazine stand on Sunday and Monday.

Thanks,

Gaz

blakep82

posted on 13/4/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote

i have to admit, i could really imagine it (or wasn't really sure it would work with a 7 chassis tbh) but that looks AMAZING on the model chassis!

nice one!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

posted on 14/4/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like I've lost the use of my garage

I don't mind really

Paul G Rescued attachment epona-s.jpg
Rescued attachment epona-s.jpg

dnmalc

posted on 15/4/07 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Gaz
Well done great to hear that it will be at stoneleigh. Most of us are having troble just keeping up with the posts let alone progressing the build as you are.
Thanks for all the photos

Gaz 1977

posted on 15/4/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
epona

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. I cant wait to see it finished on the stand at the show.

I gave it a quick coat of satin black just to show up all my cock ups. (the joy of rubbing down)

Test pilot ted has made a comeback, but only for ergonomic data, I need to move the seats forward as his legs don't reach the peddles. (come to think of it I still need to make them.)

Thanks again to everyone.

GAZ... Rescued attachment epona ted 005 small.jpg
Rescued attachment epona ted 005 small.jpg

the_parson

posted on 17/4/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Damnit, that's some nice work there.

twybrow

posted on 17/4/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
"There are some strange dips in the body shell that dont appear to be in the mould, is it possible that the gel coat lifted away from the mould?"GAZ

This is called pre-release. It tends to happen on large vertical surfaces. The speed at which the item is cured can play a part, the quality of the gelcoat, and the mould release you use can all play a part. One of the most common causes is rapid changes in temperature. Still, you have done a great job and should give yourself a pat on the back. I wish my project was that interesting at uni... "The mechanical properties of a uni-directional prepreg" sounds fun hey? Keep them posts coming - I cant wait to see the finished model at Stoneleigh!

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know looking at that pic with teddy in it that finish is really nice.

Just a thought, the design rights or copyright for it, that is your property and not the university’s right? I would check that out just to be sure so that you never have a lawyer knock on your door when the shell goes into production.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JamJah

posted on 17/4/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Technically it will be co owned by the student and the university. Often though the university will not claim their full enitilment and will claim a nominal figure. I know my university will take 40-50% in return for offices, support and contacts.
However I know people who have left and the university werent too interested in the products and only take 5% (or a cheque!)

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

Gaz 1977

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
EPONA

thanks for the fibreglass answers, i will spead the word tomorow. One of the other chaps has just got his fibreglass back and it is far worse then mine.

As far as the rights on the design, the uni will protect my design for a time. I then need to protect it my self. it is still my design so i cant get in trouble. but good point.

Today i ran a test vac form of the windows and all went ok ish. The finish is crap but that, i think is down the fact i used the wrong plastic. we had none in stock. But it fits ok.

Also started on the interior the dash is rough and needs alot taken off. You should get the idea. Rescued attachment 6.jpg
Rescued attachment 6.jpg

Gaz 1977

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
epona

and here is the dash Rescued attachment 7.jpg
Rescued attachment 7.jpg

Gaz 1977

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
epona

and from the back...

Thanks again for all the comments and look forward to putting some faces to the names at the show.

GAZ Rescued attachment 8.jpg
Rescued attachment 8.jpg

Guinness

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Gaz

Car is looking great! Have you given much thought as to how to display it at Stoneleigh?

I have a few tiles left over from my garage floor if you want something for it to sit on, rather than just a table cloth.

Tiles are a matt grey rubber, with raised dots on them, 600x600mm.

As seen underneath my car

Back Right]
Back Right]

Just let me know if they would be any use to you.

Cheers

Mike

Gaz 1977

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
stand

thanks mike,

I'm ok thanks, Ive got the use of some glass display stands from the uni.

Nice Tyres by the way, what are they?

And dad if you read this, no they are not going on the A2, Thats the car not the road.

GAZ

Guinness

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
R888's

You know they make sense!

Mike

the_parson

posted on 17/4/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's bizarre, I still can't get my head around the scale of this thing. Your shots of the interior got me all confused. I thought I was looking at a full sized model for a moment. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece in the flesh.

On a completely unrelated note, who's the foxy chick snuck in on the left of one your images there?

Gaz 1977

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
epona

thanks mate.

What can i say.... work is hard.
You will meet her at the show.......and.....em........her.........girlfriend

ps. can you send me your number, lost it.

GAZ

Gaz 1977

posted on 18/4/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
EPONA

got the dash fairly well there, I need to spend some time on the body ready for painting Rescued attachment 9.jpg
Rescued attachment 9.jpg

Gaz 1977

posted on 18/4/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
epona

there is no good view to photo it from so sorry for the pics Rescued attachment 10.jpg
Rescued attachment 10.jpg

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.