Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seatbelt bolts
ewanspence

posted on 24/5/02 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
seatbelt bolts

The bolts from the Sierra belts were 12mm fine thread metrics bolts, I don't have any of the correct nuts (oohh err missus). Can I use 10mm 8.8 grade (same as original except 2mm less dia) with nylocs nuts. I can access both sides of the mountings so I don't think I need to make the nuts captive?

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 24/5/02 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
The inspector may inspect the bolts so best use the originals and get some right nuts
chrisg

posted on 24/5/02 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I Think they've got to be 11mm or 11/16th's, grade 8.8 min.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/5/02 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The bolts from the Sierra belts were 12mm fine thread metrics bolts, I don't have any of the correct nuts (oohh err missus). Can I use 10mm 8.8 grade (same as original except 2mm less dia) with nylocs nuts. I can access both sides of the mountings so I don't think I need to make the nuts captive?

This is all in the SVA manual Ewan. If you havnt got a copy this far into the build you are corting disaster. They do need to be about 11+ mm as Chris says.

They also need to be - described something like - 'indestructable' mounted. If the tester undoes the bolt, then it must screw back in without anything gripping the nut from the other side.

atb

steve

ewanspence

posted on 27/5/02 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks
folks,

I do have a manual but it is the worst written book I have every hd the delight in using.

If only we had an electronic version that was easily searchable!! (I know we used to)

Ewan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/5/02 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks
folks,

I do have a manual but it is the worst written book I have every hd the delight in using.

If only we had an electronic version that was easily searchable!! (I know we used to)

for a set of regulations, it reads surprisingly well!

Try the section on seat belts......

ChrisW

posted on 27/5/02 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't me who started this thread but I'm at this point so I'll ask anyway... are you guys saying I need to weld nuts to my seat belt 'triangles'?

Cheers, Chris

ewanspence

posted on 27/5/02 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I read somewhere that so long as you can get to both sides of the nut/bold to allow securing it was ok.

I am in doubt now so will probably just weld anyway.

I would have thought nylocs were better than welded no-nylocs - can't come loose as easily!!

Ewan.

ChrisW

posted on 27/5/02 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I was thinking.. and I wouldn't want to weld nylocks!

Chris

My gaff my rules

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/5/02 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
it says in the manual that they must be 'indestructable' and not need a tool from both sides.

Most cars I have taken belts out of (make that all) have a captive or welded nut.

atb

steve

jmbillings

posted on 30/5/02 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Actually (just to confuse everyone) we used 10mm bolts... but we have 4 point harnesses, so maybe the load distributed over 4 points is no worse than 3 x 11mm bolts? Either way, the SVA inspector never queried them.
Bonjo

posted on 19/6/02 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
The only size I've seen is 7/16" 20 thread for belts.

I have a 6 point setup from LUKE.

bob

posted on 19/6/02 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the sabelt 4 point harness,this has the 7/16" bolts as well.
I have threaded tube welded in for the upper and lower mounting points.
The bolts from SABELT are not long enough to come out the other side of the threaded tube,so i'm putting longer bolts in and nylocs on the other side.
Hopefully this will be OK for the SVA.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.