Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Made a rain cover and now the sun shines!
zetec

posted on 1/8/07 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Made a rain cover and now the sun shines!

After getting pissed off watching the rain clouds blowing across the weather forecast every time I wanted to go any where I decided to have a bash at making a cover. Then if it gets a bit too damp I can retire to a cafe/pub and carry on in a dry car when it stops.

With age I'm getting a bit mean with the old £££ so bought some nylon off Ebay, a few fasteners and got to work with paper patterns, Mrs. Z's sewing machine and a few spare hours.

More than a few hours later....the results. I must say half way thru the £250 Softbits charge looks mighty good value!

And now the summer is here I bet I don't need it.` Rescued attachment DSCF0142.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0142.JPG

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

RazMan

posted on 1/8/07 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Start up a business then! At least we will get to drive our cars this summer

The fit looks really professional - well done

[Edited on 1-8-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 1/8/07 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good that mate. U should make a few.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Davey D

posted on 1/8/07 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
looks great! now that you know how to make them you should churn a load of them out
dr-fastlane

posted on 1/8/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well done. I do a rain dance for you

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

donut

posted on 1/8/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Up to your usual high standard i see!! So how much did it cost you to make?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/8/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Up to your usual high standard i see!! So how much did it cost you to make?

£249 ?

Seriously though, it does look excellent and a very good fit. Was it difficult to fit the press studs to the bodywork?

zetec

posted on 1/8/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
press studs are easy to fit if you have the former for fitting the femaile to the cover, got mine in the local sewing shop £3.00 and comes with a few sets of studs.

Whole lot come to about £20 with the lift dot fasteners adding most to the cost. Suspect with just press studs used and cheap material off Ebay could be £10...and a few hours mucking about. Knack seems to be to get the front made and fitting OK then move back, cutting and fitting studs until you get to the rear. Then make up the seat and steering wheel covers.

No seam tape fitted yet, I have seen some repair tape on ebay which looks just right...that said I did a trial run and no leaks so far. I did stitch strips of vinyl into each seam to add strength so poss that is helping to seal it.

Make your own, it's character building ...Much like being forced to watch Big Brother.

[Edited on 2/8/07 by zetec]

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.