Poll: Ungentlemanly behaviour? [View Results]
Hold station & give up on the race win (and possibly the championship)?
Go for the pass & hope the novice is switched on?

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ungentlemanly behaviour?
Richd

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ungentlemanly behaviour?

Re: 10% rule thread

Snetterton, You're lying second in the race. Half a second down, one and a half laps to go. The leader has just slipped passed a novice backmarker out of corum (the novice obligingly moved over but then finds himself approaching Russells so pulls on line) you are on him under braking for Russells, you have two choices. What do you do.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
You never actually have time to think about it in a real life situation, it's up to the backmarker to get out of your way, we all have to learn sometime & sometimes the lessons can be hard ones & expensive

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Richd

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I put the vote in the empty slot cos i'll never have to make that decision
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richd

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
You never actually have time to think about it in a real life situation, it's up to the backmarker to get out of your way, we all have to learn sometime & sometimes the lessons can be hard ones & expensive

You always have time, maybe not much, but time all the same. Does the backmarker have any more time? Or are you saying you can get away with blaming newbies??

phoenix70

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you are a true racer, second is as good as last, so you always go for it. Just hope the novice notices you. If you are playing for point, make a feint up the inside and hope you scare the novice off the track, but make sure you can get out of it if needs be.

[Edited on 15/1/08 by phoenix70]

cidersurfer

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
You go for the pass, it's racing not the public road...

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

stevec

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
You go for it, or you may as well go home,
Steve.

delboy

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
pick him up in the corner and spin him out of the way, if you do it proerly he won't hold you up.
2nd is the first looser.

stuart_g

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
pointless poll as it depends on a number of factors that can only be made at the time of the situation.
simes43

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richd
Re: 10% rule thread

Snetterton, You're lying second in the race. Half a second down, one and a half laps to go. The leader has just slipped passed a novice backmarker out of corum (the novice obligingly moved over but then finds himself approaching Russells so pulls on line) you are on him under braking for Russells, you have two choices. What do you do.

The car that is about to be lapped should do everything they can to give the faster car right of way.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 15/1/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
What did you do when you were a novice?
Why is the title Ungentlemanly behaviour?
I just wondered as i have been a teriffied novice and made mistakes and i have also been amongst the top guys and made mistakes. As has been posted many times we all have to start somewhere. Welcome to motorsport.
I do sympathise as we did lose a championship by being spun by a back marker It realy hurt as we "don't do second place" but we are still racing and winning

BenB

posted on 15/1/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
You rely on the back-marker getting out of the way but equally recognise they're a novice so may not do that (that's why they have a sign on the back of the car after all).....

So if you do a manoever which most novices would cope with it all goes pete tong then it's unlucky. If you drive them off the road just because you haven't been able to get close enough to the car in front during the race and you're frustrated then that's unfair. You might be prepared to sacrifice your car, but t-boning a novice backmarker and wrecking their car with a rather dubious last minute overtake sucks a bit......

Of course the answer is to make sure you're in first place by the last lap

Richard Quinn

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mirror, signal, manouvre!!

On a more serious note - If the back marker has the line then he has the line. As people have pointed out, the decision will be made as and when. If you want to try the outside then fine but bear in mind that if he's seen you and feels under pressure, he may turn in early and exit wide. Drop in behind and he may stay perfectly on the line.
You pays your money and takes your choice!

[Edited on 15/1/08 by Richard Quinn]

mccsp

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
It isn't the novices job to get out of the way!

As the faster driver you are expected to find a safe way to pass! The blue flags are there to warn the backmarker of your presence.

If they are that slow you arelapping them in a 8-10 lap race, it is going to be pretty easy to outbrake them up the inside.

Could always go straight over the grass

MikeR

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
How much money have you got ?

Can you afford to wreck your car with a risky overtake manouver?

Do you want the responsibilty to wrecking someone elses car?

CGILL

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Would depend on the exact positioning. You don't get championship points if you don't finish
so would be a trade off for me .

Richd

posted on 16/1/08 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
What did you do when you were a novice?
Why is the title Ungentlemanly behaviour?

Dont carry the cross on the back of my car any more but would still call myself a novice. I would also class myself as a racer.

Would agree with most that where possible the backmarker should move over "safely" and allow the front runners past. But opinions obviously vary on where the safe places occur.

The title is just a title, but read back through the responses (probably not all from drivers) and you'll see its justified.

I have seen many discussions on driving standards and they all start with the same tack "novices need to learn track craft" well, lets not just stop at novices. we are talking about entry level racing. If you expereienced chappies dont like the amount of novices then move up a class or two. Motor racing is dangerous. No-one wants to be part of an accident but they will happen. People get lapped. Novices have crosses. The C of C has powers to discipline. And if we stuff it too often we run out of money.

cheers
Rich

procomp

posted on 16/1/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Quote "Could always go straight over the grass " For gods sake don't do that there. Anyone who saw me end up in a situation in the last all-comers race at snett will know why.

Ps it was not an involvement with a back marker but of my own doing. However i do believe that i should have been in possession of a pilots licence to achieve that sort of height

Don't think you would know the answer untill you where there in the situation. But to be fair every time i have come up against a back marker there they have held a tighter inside line on the aproach and indicated to go outside on line.

Cheers Matt

Rob Palin

posted on 16/1/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I can't match your height record Matt but i reckon i might hold the one for distance. In my 2nd ever race i got onto a damp patch on the outside of Coram and had to choose whether to go off facing forwards or backwards. I chose forwards and travelled cross-country from just before it kind of tightens on the approach to Russell all the way to the start line!

Many of the farmers in Norfolk would have been proud of the long, straight furrows i left - and they were still visible the next year, too!

procomp

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob. Well for what it's worth i certinally am not going to try and beat any more records there.
I know i was bl##dy lucky to come away without damage to the car and me except to my shoulder. Coram wet grass and 100 mph dont mix well.

But i think if a clear rule was in place regarding whether to hold line or move over was in place it would help all. But the chances of the MSA sorting that are very slim.

Cheers Matt

Richd

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
The biggest problem with regulating for these situations is that once you take away the discressionary powers of the governing bodies you lose all latitude for exceptional circumstances and the human element.

Having clear advice is good. Having set rules covering overtaking will be difficult to administer when every overtaking point is different, every class of car is arriving at corners at different speeds, and every bend is a different profile.

I have a little experience of "over-legislating" in my day job

skydivepaul

posted on 1/2/08 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
second place is the first of the losers!!!!
you have to try to assess the situation and make your pass as you see fit. I can also agree that as a novice at the back of the grid you will be looking in your mirrors more than looking ahead so as not to make a tit of yourself against your peers. he will move out of the way or even not make you go off line too much as to make a half decent move.

cheers

Paul

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.