Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hard tops
macspeedy

posted on 23/6/02 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hard tops

Has anyone ever heard of a hard top for a 7 to try and improve the practicality of it???
Fatboy Dave

posted on 23/6/02 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, my mate has one on his Dax Rush. The doors don't stay closed, and it's a pain to get into the thing, but it ain't a bad piece of work.

Doubt if it's really worth the effort, as it just turns the car into a noise box

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Nick Davison

posted on 23/6/02 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Dave
Would your friend be happy to have a chat about it? I would like to fit one to mine once it is built.
Please mail me if he is willing to have a chat.
Nick

Fatboy Dave

posted on 23/6/02 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sure, I'll give him a shout when he gets into work tomorrow and see what he says.

I have a few pictures somewhere too.

Dave

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Bob da builder

posted on 24/6/02 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi m8.

i have had a similar idea when my car is on the road (will be some time!!) was thinking of covering the top with heavy material to form the shape required and then fiber glassing over to for the rough shape then finishing by hand. dont know if its pratical as ive not tried it yet........

rob

Nick Davison

posted on 24/6/02 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I had thought of having a bolt on roll bar so that the hard top frame could then bolt on in it's place with a central framework going forward to the windscreen which could have additional strengthening built into the roof frame. It would be like the roof system on the Stag. It would have to have gull wing doors fitted to improve access and the rear panel could then slope down to the rear frame of the car with a window in it of some sort.
How had you thought of designing it?
Nick

Fatboy Dave

posted on 24/6/02 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well, here's some pictures, and Nick, my mate should be contacting you soon.

Here's Westfields soloution http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave.graham90/hardtop.jpeg

And here's my mates hardtop on his Rush (and he has replaced those wheels now...) http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave.graham90/dave.jpeg

Dave

macspeedy

posted on 26/6/02 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input I asked Westfield if they make the hard top... "Westfield only ever produced the prototype and found production cost to be to high, project shelved." no harm in asking.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/6/02 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
well, according to the advert in the post 2 back from this, it was to be sold for 1600 quid.

SURELY its possible to make a fibreglass molding and make a profit on 1600 quid!!!

A business opportunity there I think!

atb

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.