Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet
zetec

posted on 5/12/03 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet

I want to make a ali bonnet to replace my rather poor early MK one. Any advice on where to start? I did see a web site where the guy pulled a flat sheet over the nose and scuttle using straps around the chassis which sounds OK but I suspect is easier said than done. What grade of ali would be best? I was also thinking of cutting louvers which I know can be tricky but do look very good when done well...
Mix

posted on 8/12/03 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Using the car as a former is an option but there will be a risk of damaging the nosecone and scuttle in the process. I would make MDF formers to the same profile as the nose and scuttle, secure them the correct distance apart to a board mimicing the chassis top rails. Forming the sheet over them using the strap method you will have access to trim the ends and also be able to use the base board to form the 90 degree bends at either side.
eddymcclements

posted on 29/12/03 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec,

See my reply to Ernie in the thread "Ali Panels". It really wasn't too difficult - getting the curvature in the lower part of the front panels was harder.

Cheers,

Eddy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.