Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dashboard materials ideas anyone
mangogroove

posted on 24/12/03 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dashboard materials ideas anyone

I saw macspeedys car on sat and they are doing a fine job. He has a rough dash fashioned out of ali however it has sharp edges.These he wants to put timber shaped round the edge coveredby leather cloth. The original had a 20mm tube that ran across the cockpit with a hoop over the top under the scuttle. This was covered with thin sheet ali and gave a good round edge present along the lower lip. Ive been looking into the modern materials that could be used such as acrylic pespex macrolon or upvc
One idea was to use Fasia board upside down with the return edge stiffing up the lower half. To buy a few meters from B&Q costs 40 squid but if you find the chappy that installs the stuff it will cost a whole lot less. Carbon fibre blanks? are the availiable and how workable is this stuff in a home workshop using starret hole cutters ect

All input welcome
Humbug

type 907

posted on 24/12/03 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there, it's type 907's son again. I had a play with some carbon fibre last week, I designed a new gear gate for my alfa (see below)

Cutting and triming the carbon was a lerning curve

1. It sparks like hell when you try and cut it on a vertical bandsaw and would blunt the blade very quickly. I would imagion it would do the same to any fast moving saw blade.

2. If you use a hand saw (hacksaw) you must only cut from the pretty side away from you. If you drag the blade back it seems to delaminate the edge. the same applies to files used to clean the edge up.

I would suggest using a copeing saw to roughly cut holes and then finish the edges with a circular flap wheel in a electric drill. or by hand just with wet and dry.

Just as a warning the 300x300mm piece i bought cost me £20 Rescued attachment alfa gates.jpg
Rescued attachment alfa gates.jpg

Too much is just enough

Jasper

posted on 24/12/03 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used a fine tooth metal-cutting blade on a jigsaw on CF and it works a treat, cut nice face down as the foot plate will scratch. Holes cut with normal drill then opened up as necessary with a dremmel.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.