Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheels for stuart taylor IRS
phelpsa

posted on 5/1/04 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wheels for stuart taylor IRS

CALLING YOU STUART TAYLOR LOCOST OWNERS

Do 13" wheels fit on stuart taylor rear uprights. If so what offset will I need?

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 5/1/04 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not an ST person, but generally speaking the upright isn't the issue, the brakes are. sierra rear discs min size wheel is 14", drums are 13".

Hope this helps.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 5/1/04 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any way of getting smaller callipers that would let me use 13" wheels as I have disc brakes.

Adam

ned

posted on 6/1/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
if you find out let me know! i've been offered some ex racing split rims that are 13" for nothing! and theres 2 sets! i'm guessing you could machine the disc down, remount or try mounting a caliper from something else. you can't use a straight forward after marlet or front caliper as you need a handbrake. alternative is to mount a wilwood 'spot' caliper for a handbrake (see rallydesign's website).

just to add someone once mentioned grinding the calipers down a bit, never tried it! if anyone has a spare/dead caliper they don't mind tying it out on? either tat or get one from the scrappy and measure it all up in situe to see how much would need to be taken off.

Ned.

[Edited on 6/1/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

phelpsa

posted on 6/1/04 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ive managed to get hold of some 13" steels which seem to fit over the brake assembly but I have contacted some people who have disc brakes on there ST and they have 14s.

The only thing that seems to be wrong with 13"s is that they rub on the top of the uprights but this could be solved with a smaller offset. (Couldn't it??)

Adam

eddymcclements

posted on 6/1/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have an ST IRS chassis and 13" wheels. I found that the long bolt at the bottom of the rear uprights just fouled the wheels, so I skimmed a couple of mm off the head to relieve the the problem.

The end of the handbrake cable touched the inner rim, but with the lever bent back towards the caliper body a fraction it was OK.

The spokes of the wheel (KN Minator) don't foul the caliper body. I can't remember the offset - I asked Ian Gray what was suitable (Cortina front uprights; Sierra-based hubs etc at the rear) and bought the correct wheels from George Polley Motorsport. ET16 to ET23 rings a bell, but don't quote me on it. I may have the receipt somewhere.

Cheers,

Eddy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.