Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen fixing
Findlay234

posted on 8/1/04 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen fixing

I was just ready through some old threads, especially one on how fast the cars wuold go and the factors affecting top end speed, many said a major factor would be the windscreen. This moved me to start thinking how a windscreen is attached to the scuttle. My scuttle is a fibreglass scuttle like most people on here. have you guys attached it straight onto the fibreglass or have you rienforced it in some way???
Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/1/04 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not having one myself, but the sensible option is to use big washers to pull up on the fibreglass and stop it breaking through.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/1/04 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you have ever been blown by a high wind, you can imagine the kinda force on a windscreen at 80 mph.

On my car I made up two 2.5mm thick steel plates which are welded to the car frame, and butt up agaisnt the outer sides of the scuttle, inside the scuttle.

The screen will bolt thro to these.

However, if you use the 'triangle' type bracket that sevens tend to have, that probably spreads the load well - provided you use large dia washers, and make sure the scuttle is decently fixed down in first place!

atb

steve

[Edited on 8/1/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Findlay234

posted on 8/1/04 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, im planning not to use a windscreen till after the sva and then put one on. i only had worrys of the sail like characteristics the windscreen represented.
zetec

posted on 8/1/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've bolted my triangle supports thru the scuttle base with big washers, so far so good, taken it up to 110 and not fallen off yet...pic on archive.
paulbeyer

posted on 8/1/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Are we not sometimes guilty of over analyzing things. How many times do you hear of a Lotus 7 type kit car having its windscreen ripped off at high speed killing the driver, his passenger or innocent pedestrian?

Put some sort of washer or spreading plate on the inside of the scuttle and worry about the end of the world instead.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/1/04 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
agreed

but

how would we know what happens to 7 drivers - if they are dead they cant post.......

and I have seen some awfully crap engineering in my time on sites like this during my build - some of it my own! Thats why I ended up doing my suspension geometry twice.....

wasnt it you that was in a car with someone that nearly died cos something as simple as a hose clip came off......

atb

steve

[Edited on 8/1/04 by stephen_gusterson]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.