Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why you have to key up the panels before you paint them
Mark Allanson

posted on 31/10/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Why you have to key up the panels before you paint them

Just had to share this with you, probably the worst I have seen, the thickest paint film and no cohesion

[Edited on 31/10/08 by Mark Allanson] Rescued attachment Peeling paint.jpg
Rescued attachment Peeling paint.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

blakep82

posted on 31/10/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
thats terrible

doesn't look like that panel's been primed, or the old black paint removed or anything

[Edited on 31/10/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 31/10/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wow.

It is amazing what difference a bit of keying makes though... my experiements with epoxied aliminium proved the importance for me once and for all!!!

MikeR

posted on 31/10/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
i'm trying to figure this out - is that a sheet of silver paint you've pulled from the car?
blakep82

posted on 31/10/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
is that a bmw?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

matt.c

posted on 31/10/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm? Looks like a VW front wing to me. In the bodyshop trade there is a etch primer that doesnt need "Keying".

Some dont like it and some do, its normally up to the painter. But the pic shown there doesnt seem that have used this product but used the same methods so the paint will just peal off.

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/10/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Its an Audi A6 where a sloppy painter has fitted a second hand wing, and slapped on a load of colour with no preparation at all. The heavily applied colour has started to peel off in large swaithes as it had nothing to grip to

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

hillbillyracer

posted on 1/11/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I was talking to a lad who works in a large body repair workshop, he's a painter & that's all he does, panel beating & filling is done by someone else, surface prep by another & the stripping out & fitting up by someone else again. I can understand that's the way it works in a large place but if they've no training or involvment at all in other related skills then now & again this will result!
BenB

posted on 1/11/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like it's a nice spray job too. Very bizarre that they could be bothered to do a good spray but not do the prep work first. If that was my car I'd send them the photos and ask WTF they were playing at!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.