Board logo

Vortx MX5 Supercharged?
rdodger - 12/9/11 at 10:32 AM

Has anyone or know of anyone who has built an MX5 based Vortx with a supercharger?

I currently run a MK2 MX5 with Hotside MP62 supercharger and think it would make a great base for a Vortx. Just wondering if it will fit?

Any build sites of MX5 builds would be great.

Cheers

[Edited on 12/9/11 by rdodger]

Agriv8 - 12/9/11 at 11:00 AM

rdoger,

Got a V8 in one so suspect it will.

Best bet is get some dimensions and Pictures ( where the supper charger sits ) and post up.

Regards

Agriv8

liam.mccaffrey - 12/9/11 at 11:03 AM

when you are searching, include terms like miata seven, the mx5 or miata is the most popular donor in the states there a quite a few builds on line.

theduck - 12/9/11 at 11:39 AM

iirc first350 was going to supercharge his originally, have a look for his build diary in here.

ETA link to the build I mentioned above http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9631

[Edited on 12/9/11 by theduck]

rdodger - 12/9/11 at 11:41 AM

I would change the charge cooler for an intercooler and can route the air filter around the back of the engine.

I will get my self off to the stafford show at the weekend armed with a tape measure.

iti_uk - 12/9/11 at 11:46 AM

Check out the "Power" sections at forum.miata.net. It'll have all the answers you need there.

Chris

vinny1275 - 12/9/11 at 12:36 PM

I think mx5s are used as the donor engine / running gear for vortxs in Australia (and I think they're getting more common here too). Marc's good at making stuff fit, so I reckon it should be do-able - give Marc a shout as he'll know what he's done previously...

Agriv8 - 12/9/11 at 01:33 PM

are you able to supply

and marc should be able to cross ref to the MX5 domonstrator in the workshop.

Regards

Agriv8

BigLee - 12/9/11 at 02:28 PM

Having had my Vortx Mazda Turbo sat next to an MX5 fitted with an Eaton M45, I can honestly say that setup wouldn't fit. I looked into it alot as a conversion now mine as road legal, as I liked the idea of a more linear power delivery. The charger itself would almost fit. It is the associated pipework that made it difficult. The install is no wider than the turbo, it is simply sat further forward where the car is narrower. My measurement put it 5" outside the engine bay. Thats not to say a Rotrex or the like wouldn't fit.

Vortx Mazda Engine bay
Vortx Mazda Engine bay

dave - 12/9/11 at 03:39 PM

Thats rather tight.

first350 - 12/9/11 at 05:22 PM

I tried to fit a FFS Coldside Supercharger in my MNR...IIRC it would've stuck out the bonnet by 1-2". I had thought about mounting the engine further Left, but I have a left-hand-drive car, so the steering rack started getting really close....not to mention running out of room for the exhaust.

*running a hotside SC had it's own issues...the OEM intake manifold isn't small...to fit my turbo on the hot side, I had to get a custom IM made. FWIW I'm running the 1.8L from a '99...so it's a larger engine and IM (dual runner style)

IMO a mazdaspeed miata set up would be great (I had concerns w/ interference due to my steering shaft)...but power is limited b/c the turbo is on the smaller side.

Steve Hignett - 12/9/11 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave
Thats rather tight.

That's what she said last ni...

No - I can't do it

rdodger - 13/9/11 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
Having had my Vortx Mazda Turbo sat next to an MX5 fitted with an Eaton M45, I can honestly say that setup wouldn't fit. I looked into it alot as a conversion now mine as road legal, as I liked the idea of a more linear power delivery. The charger itself would almost fit. It is the associated pipework that made it difficult. The install is no wider than the turbo, it is simply sat further forward where the car is narrower. My measurement put it 5" outside the engine bay. Thats not to say a Rotrex or the like wouldn't fit.

Vortx Mazda Engine bay
Vortx Mazda Engine bay

That's a great picture. Thanks Lee.

It really shows how much/little room there is in there especially towards the front.

Looks like there is no chance of the charger fitting.

Back to the drawing board.

ayh20 - 30/9/11 at 04:38 PM

I'm a bit late to this conversation but i have a Rotrex fitted to the the Mazda lump in a Sylva Striker.

I looked at number of other chargers but that was the only conceivable option. Charger fits where the aircon pump would be and i have a intercooler fitted in front of the cams.

Andy