Board logo

How far rearward can I place the (front) light bar?
ElmrPhD - 31/1/17 at 01:07 PM

Silly question, perhaps, but I'm trying to locate everything as rearward as possible on this nose-heavy car.
Is there anything (IVA regs) that keeps me from putting the light bar all the way back to the join between the nose-cone and the bonnet?
Thanks!
Steve, in the NLs

loggyboy - 31/1/17 at 01:34 PM

No, providing you meet the angles of visibility.
(side repeaters need to be within 2.6m of front, but even if mounted on the light bar, would not be affected by your proposal)

[Edited on 31-1-17 by loggyboy]

ElmrPhD - 31/1/17 at 02:30 PM

Thank you!
But I should've emphasised that I am concerned with the headlamp and front city/parking lamp location. Sorry about that.
My side repeaters are done in the standard MNR locations. Just wondering how far rearward I can locate headlamps and
front parking/city lamps.
Thanks again
Steve in the NLs
Vortx

loggyboy - 31/1/17 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ElmrPhD
Thank you!
But I should've emphasised that I am concerned with the headlamp and front city/parking lamp location. Sorry about that.
My side repeaters are done in the standard MNR locations. Just wondering how far rearward I can locate headlamps and
front parking/city lamps.
Thanks again
Steve in the NLs
Vortx

Yeah, they all have angles to comply with though, If you move them too far back the 'down' and 'inside' angles for the headlights may be blocked by the nose, so worth starting with those angles.

ianhurley20 - 31/1/17 at 04:51 PM

There is quite a good drawing that shows lighting positions at http://westfield-world.com/svalights_front.html and there is one there that covers the rear as well. It doesn't cover distance from the front though but covers most other dimensions

Nickp - 31/1/17 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ElmrPhD
Silly question, perhaps, but I'm trying to locate everything as rearward as possible on this nose-heavy car.

Changing the subject slightly, why do you think the car's so nose heavy?
Just weighed my Haynes with a BMW M52B28 6 pot and I'm at 51% front, which I'm very happy with TBH

steve m - 31/1/17 at 05:44 PM

I cant see how moving a pair of headlights and braketry back 2" will make a jot of difference, even moving them to over the rear
number plate, would only just about move the scales

But moving the engine and gearbox back 2" could make a difference

Nickp - 31/1/17 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I cant see how moving a pair of headlights and braketry back 2" will make a jot of difference, even moving them to over the rear
number plate, would only just about move the scales

But moving the engine and gearbox back 2" could make a difference

Agreed, the back of my cylinder head is 10mm from the bulkhead.

ElmrPhD - 1/2/17 at 01:06 PM

Thank you Loggyboy and Ian for your help!