Board logo

When a Kit Car isnt a Kit Car
AntonUK - 7/2/18 at 01:13 PM

Random conversation starter, when is a Kit Car not a Kit Car?

My car is a factory built Ginetta G27, but was available as a kit for home builders at the time.

Does it qualify as a kit car as in essence it was never supplied as a kit...

Thoughts?

theduck - 7/2/18 at 01:32 PM

For what purpose are we describing it as a kit car or not?

Toys2 - 7/2/18 at 01:45 PM

The 60's Lotus Elan was available in Kit Form, mainly to avoid New Car Tax, they don't get referred to as kit cars though

WallerZero - 7/2/18 at 02:09 PM

Technically, every car is a kit car if you want to call the BOM a kit lol

Personally I'd go with it being a kit car if the public was able to purchase a kit (collection of parts) to build it themselves

907 - 7/2/18 at 02:28 PM

I gave up long ago about this very question.

One bloke even said; "But you went to Stoneleigh, to the Kit Car Show, so it must be a Kit Car".

The week before he had been to a steam rally in his Moggy Minor...... but then I decided it wasn't worth the argument.

Paul G

steve m - 7/2/18 at 06:39 PM

"Personally I'd go with it being a kit car if the public was able to purchase a kit (collection of parts) to build it themselves"

Ive always referred to my car as a component car, as its a locost, built from scratch but using parts from many sources
yet home made chassis etc as per "the book" ish

So, is mine a kit car ? I suppose in a way it is and isn't,

but the Caterhams are, or were available in kit form, and a friend did exactly that, built a caterham from a few boxes of parts, so do we label Caterhams as kit cars ? no

Infact if we did, i doubt there would be many Caterhams left on the road, as there 90% snobbish owners would not be able to live with the fact they were kit car owners

tims31 - 7/2/18 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m

but the Caterhams are, or were available in kit form, and a friend did exactly that, built a caterham from a few boxes of parts, so do we label Caterhams as kit cars ? no

Infact if we did, i doubt there would be many Caterhams left on the road, as there 90% snobbish owners would not be able to live with the fact they were kit car owners

Do Caterham still sell kits, I thought most of their cars were pre-built?

rusty nuts - 8/2/18 at 06:02 PM

Caterham owners club always have a good turnout at Stoneleigh so I suppose it's still available as a component kit?

rdodger - 8/2/18 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tims31
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Do Caterham still sell kits, I thought most of their cars were pre-built?

They still sell a kit of every part to assemble a particular model but I don't think you can buy the starter kit without engine etc any more.

40inches - 8/2/18 at 06:32 PM

It appears that Caterham models are still available in kit form, the cost of factory assembly is £2500
http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars/self-assembly