Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel sender into tank
l5tuy

posted on 21/12/15 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel sender into tank

Hi all,

What's people done for fuel sender solutions?

I was gonna use donor one, however now not sure. The fuel pipes seem to come out the sender, but there are also 2 outlet/inlets on top of the tank? What's been done with the MX5 kit vortx before guys?

Pics would be a bonus.

Thank you.

Stuart

sdh2903

posted on 21/12/15 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm presuming it's the mnr supplied tank.

No pics as I've not finished assembling yet. But am using the lower outlet, through pre filter then into a sytec hp fuel pump. The 2 upper outlets, 1 is for return the other will be for a breather/roll over valve. I'm using a vdo tube type sender, I asked Chris about using the mx5 pump/sender assembly but they didn't seem to reccomend it. If I was using the mx5 clocks I'd still use the sender and block off the 2 pipes but as I'm using a digi dash I've gone for the vdo.

I think the tank will be ok as it's baffled and has the small sump on the bottom. It will be a case of trying out on track to see if a swirl pot is needed.

[Edited on 21/12/15 by sdh2903]

nick205

posted on 22/12/15 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what you've got, but I managed to use the Sierra float type sender with a 3rd party gauge. It worked, but a full tank of fuel read half full on the gauge - not ideal, but cheap and it worked.

nick205

posted on 22/12/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just remembered, I was using Durite gauges from Vehicle Wiring Products...

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/236/fuel-gauge-sen der-unit

micksalt

posted on 22/12/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I went for the 'just add MX-5' kit and so far haven't come across a fuel-level sender, so I presumed I had to use the MX-5 sender, but not the pump. However, since the tank is baffled, it may be easier to use one of the tube-style ones to avoid hitting the baffles.
micksalt

posted on 22/12/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I can tell, I need something like this 250 mm sender .

Then if I were to use it with an Acewell dash, which only gives options of 100, 250 and 500 ohm senders, if I were to set it to the 100 ohm, it would show as a full tank for the purposes of IVA, but wouldn't actually show anything less than full until the tank was roughly half empty. In reality, I'd set it to the 250 ohm setting, since this would be more useful, but would never show on the dial as being completely full.

Or if I wanted it to be spot on, there's a fuel sender adapter made by Koso. A bit pricey, but worth it for the OCD types.

[Edited on 22/12/2015 by micksalt]

l5tuy

posted on 22/12/15 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks gents,

For info it is the standard MNR tank I'm using.

I haven't really decided on gauges yet, but I guess this is an opertunity to spend some time doing so. I guess I can run the 2 fuel lines to the rear in the meantime until I decide what to do.

Thanks again.

Stu

jim87

posted on 22/12/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I got a sender with my kit. It's the one with a float on the end of a bit of metal coat hanger wire - if you get what I mean.

It's roughly 0 - 180 ohm, so I ended up putting a resistor in parallel with it it get the 100 ohms needed for my Koso guage

micksalt

posted on 14/1/16 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add, the fuel level sender should have formed part of my kit, it'll be sent with my next batch of outstanding parts.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.