Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Column Assembly
l5tuy

posted on 18/4/16 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Steering Column Assembly

Morning Folks

Looking for some help and advice on installing my steering column assembly. Would really appreciate some pics off everything? I have 3 pieces in total, column part with ignition barrel attached, long collapsible part and small 12" piece with some kind of plastic bush attached half way along. If I try and use all 3 parts its to long, if I use 2 parts its to short, also there seems to be a bracket to support the assembly existing on the chassis however no means of attachment.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

nick205

posted on 18/4/16 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
It would be helpful if you can tell us what donor car the column came from and post up some photos so we can see what you're working with. From memory MK had to modify (lengthen) the lower part of my Sierra column to suit the Indy I built. I got an exchange part, which looked like they'd used the original couplings top and bottom and welded in a longer round bar in between. If we can see what you've got we can probably advise what to do with it - particularly other MNR builders.

jim87

posted on 18/4/16 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
You have the Mazda column attached with 4 rose joints, like this

ooooooooo
ooooooooo

Then you have the longest column part, which is half Mazda, half Ford, welded together I believe. This should have a plastic bushing which attaches it to the chassis. I don't have a pic at the moment, but with grab one later if no one else comes along sooner.

This the attaches to the shorter column via a UJ to the short column, and finally to the rack via another UJ.

Jim

micksalt

posted on 18/4/16 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Stu,

MNR put my plastic bushing on the little 12" section at first, but Marc told me that it belongs on the modified lower shaft when I collected. It goes column -> modified lower shaft with bushing attached to the right of the chassis -> 12" shaft -> steering rack.

Cheers,

Mick

jim87

posted on 18/4/16 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
These are the best pictures I could get

Bushing

steeringjoints
steeringjoints

Modified lower column

steeringcolumn
steeringcolumn

Jim

l5tuy

posted on 18/4/16 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers lads, looks like I've got it. I'll try and give this a go tomorrow.

Apologies for not supplying all info, "assumption is the mother" and all that.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.