Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.8 Zetec Motor options
WillisRR

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
1.8 Zetec Motor options

Hi Guys,

Currently running a 170hp 1.8 Zetec with Kent Cams, ported and polished head on Webber 40s, Omex 200 ecu.

Curious into ways of getting a little more poke in the near future and just weighing up my options really. I would love to go F20C in time as i am a Honda man at heart. But realistically this will mean Omex600 at the least, bell housing converter, new manifold, ITBs, mounts etc etc. Need to upgrade Type9 internals before hand too so costs are mounting up fast.

So whilst i save my pennies for the dream engine set up I was interested in ways to stretch the current set up a bit further. Speaking to a friend he has suggested that i could use an ST170 Bottom end on the current head and this would net me more power.

I really am clueless at the moment when it comes to Fords so any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Will

[Edited on 28/8/13 by WillisRR]

Scuzzle

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally how much more power are you looking for?
Jenko

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Unless I'm mistaken the 2ltr bottom does not match the 1800 top...could be wrong, but worht checking.

Goiing fuel injection with TB's would probably be my next upgrade.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

wylliezx9r

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WillisRR
Hi Guys,

Currently running a 170hp 1.8 Zetec with Kent Cams, ported and polished head on Webber 40s, Omex 200 ecu.

Curious into ways of getting a little more poke in the near future and just weighing up my options really. I would love to go F20C in time as i am a Honda man at heart. But realistically this will mean Omex600 at the least, bell housing converter, new manifold, ITBs, mounts etc etc. Need to upgrade Type9 internals before hand too so costs are mounting up fast.

So whilst i save my pennies for the dream engine set up I was interested in ways to stretch the current set up a bit further. Speaking to a friend he has suggested that i could use an ST170 Bottom end on the current head and this would net me more power.

I really am clueless at the moment when it comes to Fords so any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Will

You don't need to run ITB's on a F20C to make it fit and why not use the Honda gearbox ? To get anywhere near F20C power with your zetec you are going to have to throw serious money at it. Just my opinion.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Scuzzle

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
A 2l bottom end with your 1800 ported head will go together and should work well, you already have a slight raise in compression with the 1800 head but use the Focus RS metal shim gasket instead of the standard head hasket as it's 0,7mm thick instead of 2mm so you get even more.
The 40's will need to be swapped over for 45's and you should see 200 BHP but if it were me I'd switch to bike carbs as they are far smoother and you will more than double your MPG.

Throttle bodies only seem to give another 10 BHP over bike carbs so I'm not sold on them considering the huge difference in price.

WillisRR

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
190-200 would be great . Yes upgrading ECU and running some bike ITBs would be a good step and a piece of the puzzle closer to the F20C set up. The plan looks something like below. I just want to make sure it is out of action for as little time as possible as my main priority has and will always be using it>>

Stage 1
Quaife Straight cut gearset
ST170 bottom end and remap on 45s.

Stage 2
Omex600 ecu
Bike ITBs for Zetec
Save and buy F20C running OEM inlet and in time ITBs

Stage 3
Sell Current Zetec setup minus type9 box and Omex
F20c to Type9 bell housing converter
F20c sump baffles
fab mounts
re loom
reroute rad hoses, fuel lines etc
manifold (can re-use silencer)
Will also need new bonnet and O/S panel

WillisRR

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
wylliezx9r, thanks for the info, yes, I agree there is ZERO point trying to get the same power out of a Zetec, it is more just seeing what my options are for a little more poke for little outlay. I will be going F20C in time but this will be a while down the line yet. This would just be a stop gap in between as such. If an st170 bottom end mounted up nicely and i could simply fit, have it mapped and net a good HP increase i think it is well worth doing so for the mean time .

Would be great to use the Honda gearbox but with the drive train all sorted and bell housing converters readily available for cheap it seemed like the best most hassle free option.

Scuzzle, brilliant info mate! I think i would be very happy with 200hp for 2014 track time . Nice to know about the gasket too. Thanks! Something like this>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD-FOCUS-ZETEC-2-0-16v-SHORT-ENGINE-BOTTOM-/390198737676?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad9a83 b0c

AND this>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Zetec-E-Complete-Bike-Carb-Conversion-Kit-ZX9R-40mm-Keihin-IN-STOCK-/231024800775?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& amp;hash=item35ca26b407

Scuzzle

posted on 28/8/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I take it that it's a blacktop zetec you have already?
WillisRR

posted on 28/8/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Silver top, would i be able to fit a 2.0 black top bottom end to the silver top head? Sorry for the complete noob questions, ask me about B, H, K, F series honda engines and i can talk for hours hehe>>

Scuzzle

posted on 28/8/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
The advantage the blacktop has was the better cylinder head as standard than the silvertop, 1mm bigger valves, theres a bit of work in getting the blacktop fitted instead, not much though so if you were going 2.0 blacktop I'd take the complete engine.

[Edited on 28/8/13 by Scuzzle]

[Edited on 28/8/13 by Scuzzle]

mcerd1

posted on 28/8/13 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I could be wrong but I didn't think you could fit a silvertop head to a blacktop

why not just get a complete ST170 engine and use the VVT delete kit to keep it nice and simple
or there is the duratec option for a little more £ (fiesta ST150 engine is a good option)

for your type 9 - have you considered a BGH box (or similar) they can work out a fair bit cheaper than a quaife!

with regards to the F20c - the honda gearbox is a good option, not only is it strong enough, its also got the right ratio's
mind you most folk I know of with F20c engines still end up needing a 4.1 or lower ratio back axle to make use of all those rev's

-

Paul Turner

posted on 28/8/13 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Silvertop and Blacktop heads and bottom ends are only interchangeable if you get some machining carried out to make the cylinder head belt tensioning arrangement compatible with you bottom end. In truth its not worth the effort.
paulf

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
You wont gain any power just by fitting a St170 bottom end , just more reliability due to the stronger rods and pistons, to gain much power you will need to fit cams and port the head or fit a turbo or supercharger.I looked at fitting cams but it is not cheap and ideally you should change the engine to a black top with shimmed cams rather than hydraulic lifters, itbs and efi will make it more drivable than webbers and may gain a few horsepower through the rev range.
Paul

WillisRR

posted on 29/8/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info guys, PaulF, yes it has had headwork and Kent Cams already. Getting more power seems to be opening a can of worms instead of being the quick easy option when i thought it would be a simple case of swapping bottom ends.

It looks like i will just hold fire and slowly piece everything together for the F20c install. 170hp feels pretty good at the moment anyways .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.