Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mick's MNR Mazda: Build Log
l5tuy

posted on 15/9/15 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, Mazda is stripped however. Got the rear passenger driveshaft removed from hub tonight thanks to a hydraulic puller, was seized solid and seeing how dry it was I'm not surprised.

Stu

jim87

posted on 18/9/15 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
I've got myself booked in at MNR to pay my deposit on 12th September. I'm going to take the steering column, propshaft and front uprights with me for modification so I can pick the whole lot up in one go in November. Also going to take my Works-Bell boss to get welded on too.

I've decided that I'm keeping the build basic, with the intention to upgrade in the future. However, one thing that is very permanent is the roll cage. Is it worth forking out the extra for the T45 cage over the CDS? What sort of weight difference are we talking?

Mick - I meant to ask, what are MNR doing to the front uprights ? I never asked what they'd done to mine. Is it for the track rod ends ?

micksalt

posted on 20/9/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jim87
Mick - I meant to ask, what are MNR doing to the front uprights ? I never asked what they'd done to mine. Is it for the track rod ends ?

No idea, I just assumed they drilled and tapped them for the cycle wing supports. I'll find out in November I guess.

micksalt

posted on 28/9/15 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Wedding planning consuming my time at the moment. However, I have just received the 22-spline CV joints and all the required paints so I can carry on with the parts restoration.
micksalt

posted on 12/10/15 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
A couple more distractions, first of all, the gates needed to come in for a repaint.

GateDistraction
GateDistraction

And then the tin-top needed rear pads and brakes, and was due its 2-yearly hydraulic fluid refresh. Brakes went fine, and gave me an excuse to use the pit, but obviously the maintenance department at British Transport Police couldn't be bothered refreshing the fluid in the clutch, it was pretty dark. Managed to screw up the clutch fluid refresh and ended up with a lot of air in the system to the point I couldn't move the car However, it turns out that I was just bringing the pedal back up too quickly and creating a vortex in the brake fluid reservoir that sucked in air. All sorted now though

DownPit
DownPit

So back to the kit car it was. The diff was pretty filthy with some very thick areas of rust.

DirtyDiff
DirtyDiff

Whilst I do have electrolysis equipment handy, for the small items it was just as easy to use the wire brush in the angry grinder.

Cleaning
Cleaning

And so it was all cleaned with spirit and prepared for painting. CV joints were removed from the drive-shafts to aid painting, for inspection and to pack with fresh grease and put on new gaiters.

AwaitingPrimer
AwaitingPrimer

And the primer I used was great stuff, it's a quick-drying zinc-phosphate primer and boy did it dry quick! By the time I'd done the first coat on all the parts, I could lay down the second coat. Really stuck fast to the surface, except the really recessed parts of the diff where there was obviously a touch of oil still left.

Primed
Primed

Unfortunately, the undercoat I've put on is not so fast drying, so that was me done for the day. The parts will eventually have 6 layers of paint, two of primer, two of grey undercoat and two of black gloss. The idea behind using different colours is that I can see where the paint has chipped and in need of a touch-up. If I see red, I know it's definitely in need of a touch-up. Unfortunately, I quite like the gunmetal grey of the undercoat, but I've already bought the black gloss.

[Edited on 12/10/2015 by micksalt]

micksalt

posted on 12/11/15 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Driveshafts and hubs ready for reassembly, chassis has now been built according to Chris at MNR so I'd better get a move on. Unfortunately, got a diesel leak on the daily-driver to deal with tomorrow afternoon
l5tuy

posted on 18/11/15 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Exciting times for you.

Seems MNR are having staff issues and therefore my kits been delayed. Chris mentioned 1 person was in front of me, wonder if it's you Mick? It's my first kit car race, race to completion :-)

Stu

sdh2903

posted on 18/11/15 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I'm waiting for a chassis too. Apparently a problem with poorly welders.
l5tuy

posted on 19/11/15 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
SDH2903 - I thought you had taken delivery of your kit, maybe your the one in front of me then........ The plot thickens

Do you have an estimate when yours will be done? I'll be into December now i think.

Stuart

sdh2903

posted on 19/11/15 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have a chassis. But am waiting for a replacement. Long story. MNR have been great but am getting a smidgen frustrated now as I'm somewhere in early December now.
micksalt

posted on 19/11/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I have a chassis. But am waiting for a replacement. Long story. MNR have been great but am getting a smidgen frustrated now as I'm somewhere in early December now.

Looks like I will have more time to finish restoring and tarting up everything then.

micksalt

posted on 27/11/15 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
The eBay press required a little ingenuity to get set up correctly, but it worked incredibly well.

Press
Press

Rear hubs were rebuilt in next to no time.

RearHubRestored
RearHubRestored

And trial assembled on the restored driveshafts. Plenty of anti-seize paste will be going on between the driveshaft and the hub, not going to go through all that fun again if I need to in the future.

DriveshaftsRestored
DriveshaftsRestored

Just got to get the daily-driver fixed these days, there's a good reason no one has built a common-rail powered kit car

micksalt

posted on 2/12/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
19th December is my provisional collection date. Talk about a great Christmas present
Digimon

posted on 2/12/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Nice, I bet you can't wait to start building the car up
micksalt

posted on 3/12/15 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Digimon
Nice, I bet you can't wait to start building the car up

Very much so. However, first up will be the cosmetic restoration of the front hubs and propshaft. Whilst I have the paints out, I'll tart up the engine too. Going to leave the gearbox in bare aluminium though.

micksalt

posted on 15/12/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
What are folk doing about Goods-in-Transit insurance and build-up insurance? I'm struggling to find places to get this sort of cover, the best offer I've had so far is a road risk policy that will cover transit and build for £160, but I cannot imagine getting any miles covered within the next 12 months so it seems a bit wasteful.

[Edited on 15/12/2015 by micksalt]

ElmrPhD

posted on 15/12/15 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis delays

Hey guys,
Just so you know...I was at MNR with urgent issues at the end of November and I can assure you that Marc was running around like a mad man from early in the morning to late at night trying to get the backlog of chassis work taken care of while dealing with my issues at the same time. He is incredibly productive - I was amazed at how much he could accomplish simultaneously with my stuff as well as the backlog. They normally had 2 full-time welders, but one got sick (it happens, eh?) and one mysteriously disappeared or something like that. My appearance on the scene was at a particularly bad time. But they did their best...and their best is pretty damn impressive!
Just so you know...
Steve, in the NLs

micksalt

posted on 17/12/15 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I was quite surprised, given the trouble they've had that my build was only delayed by 2-3 weeks.
jim87

posted on 18/12/15 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
What are folk doing about Goods-in-Transit insurance and build-up insurance? I'm struggling to find places to get this sort of cover, the best offer I've had so far is a road risk policy that will cover transit and build for £160, but I cannot imagine getting any miles covered within the next 12 months so it seems a bit wasteful.

[Edited on 15/12/2015 by micksalt]

I never bothered with in transit insurance, but I did check with my house insurance and they said they'd cover anything in the garage - even car parts. Not sure if they'd have paid up if the worst happened, I was always a bit unsure.
I got build up insurance around about the time I got the car onto its wheels. Was about £130 I think

micksalt

posted on 18/12/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jim87
I never bothered with in transit insurance, but I did check with my house insurance and they said they'd cover anything in the garage - even car parts. Not sure if they'd have paid up if the worst happened, I was always a bit unsure.
I got build up insurance around about the time I got the car onto its wheels. Was about £130 I think

In that case, £151.43 for build-up insurance and goods-in-transit insurance doesn't sound too bad (Adrian Flux). Just goes to show what little road-risk our insurers think we are

micksalt

posted on 21/12/15 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
In anticipation of the new arrival, I decided to get the engine and gearbox split so I could put them somewhere sensible. Also, I'd rather not trip and impale myself on the gearstick.

Engine
Engine

Engine is due a clean, paint, new timing belt kit and clutch.

Gearbox
Gearbox

Gearbox just needs a clean, turret seal renewing and filling up with gearbox oil too. I can see why the MX-5 is becoming a popular donor choice, that gearbox is ridiculously light.

[Edited on 21/12/2015 by micksalt]

micksalt

posted on 21/12/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Turns out that the Mercedes Sprinter with 4.4 m load bay was a tad excessive coming to collection.

Sprinter4m
Sprinter4m

And here it is at home ready for unloading.

Unloading
Unloading

Didn't have time to put things away neatly, so very grateful for the oversized garage that came with the house.

LoadsOfRoom
LoadsOfRoom

sdh2903

posted on 21/12/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just check the transmission tunnel is offset......

Nice choice of colour. Now the fun really begins

l5tuy

posted on 21/12/15 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
The 4.4m van length came in handy for me, I slept in it :-)

Kwan green, good choice. Same as me, interesting as I was told they hadn't done now in years, plenty room for another 2 in the world:-)

I struggled with storage space for the tub, still am if I'm honest.

Good luck.

Stu

DRM Black7

posted on 21/12/15 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome it's great fun picking up the body work etc, I had a 500 mile road trip going to Dj sports cars then on to MK (Martin took me out in the Demo as well), was an epic day.

Can't wait to see your progress.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.