Loom

Rear Access

Calipers

Diff

[Edited on 15/9/15 by l5tuy]

l5tuy

posted on 15/9/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Short story behind the build.
Ordered my Vortx kit 3 weeks or so ago, so decided to spend last weekend stripping the donor. Been pretty problem free so far, got everything off except full loom. Now spending time blasting all the parts before paint.

Condition of the donor was shockingly bad with rust, but hey hoe drove a dream so that's all that matters to me. For ref donor was a mk2 with 80k miles, anyone know if there's a demand for the remains??

I'm still a little confused with what I've bought from MNR and the kit details, hopefully I've got it covered though. The company seem very supportive to date also.

Wish me luck.

Hopefully can trade advice on here and maybe more.........

Stu

Andybarbet

posted on 15/9/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
A mate was after a pair of MX5 seats - if you still have them, let me know how much you want for them & roughly where you are.

Cheers - Andy

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

micksalt

posted on 16/9/15 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Great to see another build, and fantastic progress on the donor. I see you went for the traditional stripping approach rather than the MEV technique I used. Glad to hear that both your driveshafts came off intact, I bent my puke before going to the extremes of heat and a hammer.
Johneturbo

posted on 16/9/15 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Nice to see another mnr build on here, will be keeping an eye on your build.... good luck with it
l5tuy

posted on 16/9/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Micksalt - tbh i wasn't really aware of the "MEV" method, traditional seemed to work pretty good for me. Only had to cut 2 bolts too which was surprising.

Johneturbo - Cheers, hopefully be finished in time for summer season.

Andybarbet - I'll let you know, someone was round at the weekend enquiring. For ref i'm located in Aberdeen.

Cheers

Stu

sdh2903

posted on 16/9/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
You didn't by any chance buy that donor from pitlochry did you?
l5tuy

posted on 16/9/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
You didn't by any chance buy that donor from pitlochry did you?

Hi bud,

No I didn’t, it’s been sitting in my father in laws yard for about a year waiting on welding. Obviously the welding didn’t get done and deteriorated hence now being used as a donor. Not sure where the previous owner was from though, I could check as I have all the paperwork (service history etc)?

Stuart

sdh2903

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Haha no its fine. I was walking out the door to go and look at an identical donor car at a stupid cheap price when the seller phoned to say a guy from up north turned up with a trailer and took it. Just wondered if it was you that's all!!

Good luck with the build and look fwd to seeing updates. I'm just about done refurbing everything now. Just got the loom to tackle which I'm not looking fwd to!!

l5tuy

posted on 16/9/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Haha no its fine. I was walking out the door to go and look at an identical donor car at a stupid cheap price when the seller phoned to say a guy from up north turned up with a trailer and took it. Just wondered if it was you that's all!!

Good luck with the build and look fwd to seeing updates. I'm just about done refurbing everything now. Just got the loom to tackle which I'm not looking fwd to!!

Loom - yeah this is my biggest bug bear also. Probably a few weeks untill i tackle that. Whats your plan? I've labeled all the connectors during strip and was planning on stripping out all thats not required, however have ready that people just use the whole loom and tie back connectors not in use.......... hmm not sure about that.

Stuart

sdh2903

posted on 16/9/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with you on that. It will be getting stripped out and removed. I wouldn't fancy carrying around double the loom that I actually need.
jim87

posted on 16/9/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Great to see a new build - good luck. I've just finished mine, it'll be going for IVA in a few weeks

I'd second stripping everything out of the loom, there was way more than I expected when I did mine. It'll make routing the wiring easier and tidier too.

Jim

l5tuy

posted on 16/9/15 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jim87
Great to see a new build - good luck. I've just finished mine, it'll be going for IVA in a few weeks

I'd second stripping everything out of the loom, there was way more than I expected when I did mine. It'll make routing the wiring easier and tidier too.

Jim

Jim

Any advice You have to offer would be much appreciated, in fact I extend that to anyone who has recently completed a build. Also be interested to see how your IVA goes?

Stuart

jim87

posted on 16/9/15 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Any questions just ask

Don't loose the labels off the loom .... mine came in a cardboard box with no labels ....

If you get chance to see a mazda (or any) build when visiting MNR, take loads of photos. I did this, and they were invaluable

I've got my fingers crossed for IVA

[Edited on 16/9/15 by jim87]

sdh2903

posted on 16/9/15 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think we need some pics of your car for inspiration Jim!

I've been talking to Chris today and I'm down to collect my kit on the 30th. Best make sure the cameras charged up as I lost the pics I took the last time I was down.

jim87

posted on 16/9/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've been talking to Chris today and I'm down to collect my kit on the 30th. Best make sure the cameras charged up as I lost the pics I took the last time I was down.

Hope these help!

ddfg778h
ddfg778h

ghjk7685
ghjk7685

Just need to trim an angle on the front wings and pass IVA, and I'm set.

CraigJ

posted on 16/9/15 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I saw your car at MNR yesterday while Chris was showing me around. It looked fantastic up close.

sdh2903

posted on 16/9/15 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice.
l5tuy

posted on 16/9/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Hope these help!

ddfg778h
ddfg778h

ghjk7685
ghjk7685

Just need to trim an angle on the front wings and pass IVA, and I'm set.

Think I saw this couple of weeks ago at MNR, very well put together by the looks of it, you've done well. It almost convinced me to choose red

Stu

jim87

posted on 17/9/15 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Wow - thanks for all the kind comments guys. It means a lot to me that people think it looks nicely done

Yeah, that's it at MNR at the moment. They're taking it to IVA for me.

Johneturbo

posted on 17/9/15 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Great colour combo Jim though I've had mine a few years now, I do now like the dark blue as a change of colour
jim87

posted on 17/9/15 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
Great colour combo Jim though I've had mine a few years now, I do now like the dark blue as a change of colour

Like the colour of yours too ! ha ha
There's one in a mid-grey colour that looks fantastic too

Stu - did you decide what colour you're having ?

l5tuy

posted on 17/9/15 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo

Like the colour of yours too ! ha ha
There's one in a mid-grey colour that looks fantastic too

Stu - did you decide what colour you're having ?

Jim, that is the million dollar question.

I've went round the houses a few times going from Orange to Red to White, but in the end I’m sticking with my original choice of Kawasaki green. I want other cars to see me on the track as well as roads, and I just like the color. Which reminds me I need to contact Chris to confirm the paint code as I’m painting my rocker cover the same color and there seems to be a few Kwak variants.

How do you find the MX5 engine in the chassis Jim? Powerful enough? Well balanced?

Stu

jim87

posted on 17/9/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wish I knew how well it drove. I've only done a couple of hundred yards in it so far.
Fingers crossed, I should be able to update in a month or so.

I went out in a similar car a few years back (mk1 1.8), just before I ordered mine, but it was all a bit of a blur !
It was damp, and the guy slung it round a few roundabouts sideways a couple of times - he was either a good driver, or the car was balanced well, or both.
Felt good to me though

l5tuy

posted on 17/9/15 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wish I knew how well it drove. I've only done a couple of hundred yards in it so far.
Fingers crossed, I should be able to update in a month or so.

I went out in a similar car a few years back (mk1 1.8), just before I ordered mine, but it was all a bit of a blur !
It was damp, and the guy slung it round a few roundabouts sideways a couple of times - he was either a good driver, or the car was balanced well, or both.
Felt good to me though

What a nightmare that must be, having it but not getting the chance to use it Be an early xmas present when you get through the IVA, a chance to use and report on it

Stu

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.