Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodywork Installation Advice
l5tuy

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bodywork Installation Advice

Afternoon All,

At the stage where I need to start thinking about the best way to install my bodywork. In the absence of detailed guidance from the manual can anyone offer advice or tips, maybe learned from experience?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

nick205

posted on 6/6/16 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I fitted the rear tub using rivets down the rear part of the chassis. Side panels were stuck to the chassis rails using black sticky stuff and then had alloy trim riveted around the areas where you get in/out of the car. Nose cone was attached with threaded machine screws and rivnuts into the front of the chassis. Bonnet held in place with two spring catches riveted to the bonnet and side panels per side.

With hindsight the bonding doubled as a water seal preventing water getting in, but also from getting out when caught in a downpour.

l5tuy

posted on 23/6/16 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Nick.

Was making up some templates last night, it really hit me how important a task this is. Fingers crossed it goes well. Can't believe the lack of info out there on the subject, might patent my templates :-)

Stu

40inches

posted on 23/6/16 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
This is for an MK, but may give some idea. I fitted the scuttle first, then the bonnet and nose cone( with clamps) for a trial fit.

micksalt

posted on 1/7/16 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Marc told me to assemble the bodywork onto the chassis with maskign tape, then leave it overnight to settle before permanently attaching. Helps if the garage is warm at the time too.

Cheers,

Mick

Toprivetguns

posted on 1/7/16 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Measure twice and cut once. I would always offer up the bodywork and clamp/tape into position. Think of cutouts needed for the exhaust manifold and what panels you'd perhaps like to remove in the future eg rear tub for diff service, fuel tank access etc.

Also think about the panels rubbing on the frame and if possible ensure you pad them with something like foam tape. Don't be scared to trim the GRP, its not perfectly formed.

Good luck.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

mark chandler

posted on 1/7/16 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Card is also your friend, dummy up the cut outs using card then transfer to the panels.
l5tuy

posted on 18/7/16 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well, started this yesterday and can safely say it was everybit the pain in the a*se I expected it to be. I like a challenge but when your dealing with such an expensive part and logistic head ache to ship it is no fun.

Would be alot better for the tubs to have holes pre-drilled.

Never the less 'fortune favours the brave' and i'm pleased to have the tub cut-outs done, I shall continue the rest over the following week.

Will try and get pics, however uploading to photobucket to then copy over to here is time I don;t really have just now.

Cheers for all the suggestions, in the end cardboard was my 'best' friend

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.