Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi Spec or Wilwood, that is the question??
micksymonds

posted on 10/9/16 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Spec or Wilwood, that is the question??

Assembly of all of the part to rebuild my Fury is progressing well...

I have at last been able to identify upgrade options for the brake system from both Wilwood & HiSpec, but am interested to get views on which direction to go in?

Cheers
Mick

rusty nuts

posted on 10/9/16 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
There is a recent post on the forum regarding HiSpec customer service that may be of help
coozer

posted on 10/9/16 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Wilwood, got mine through Rallydesign, excellent service. Good service direct from EBC on suitable pads as well.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Daf

posted on 10/9/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Wilwood, got mine through Rallydesign, excellent service. Good service direct from EBC on suitable pads as well.

+1 Got mine Wilwood ones through Rallydesign - spot on service and the brakes are brilliant quality.

Shooter63

posted on 10/9/16 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for wilwood here, I've got the dynapro on the front fitted with hawk dtc30 pads, they are a bit iffy from dead cold but still work, once they get a bit on temp into them, they are almost like having a servo fitted. I found the polymatrix pads from wilwood to be junk, but others may disagree.
From what I've heard and read the hi specs are good but the service is pretty average, so if you go for the hi specs order them from a dealer and let them have the grief.

Shooter

Toprivetguns

posted on 10/9/16 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

+2 Wilwoods from Rally Desgin, fantastic calipers.

[Edited on 10/9/16 by Toprivetguns]

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK INDY R GSXR 1000 K5. Now sold..... Ready for th

posted on 10/9/16 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have had hi spec and now got Wilwoods, Wilwoods are lighter and the rears are 4 piston , price is good and buy from rally design. I have the feroddo 2500 pads awesome on track and good on the road too.
I have the pedal box to match and quality is excellent.

sdh2903

posted on 10/9/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you can handle being to made to wait an age and be lied to then go hi spec. It was me who wrote the recent post

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=205766

They are now lying to me and f***ing me about with the refund with 3 separate excuses why they haven't given me my money back. I'm just letting the bank deal with the lowlife cowboys now.

Rally design will be getting my money when I get it back. Always helpful and knowledgeable and most stuff is on the shelf.

bi22le

posted on 10/9/16 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have got willwoods powerlites and they seem very good.

The only negative i can see (which may not be that much of a negative) is they are a special pad unique to them. There is plenty of choice out there but this did not help when I was at Mallory Park (near Leicester) and could not find ANY stockist within an hours drive.

Also the bleed nipple is a funny size, again probably not unique to Willwood but was for me as I did not have the correct tool in my rather large collection.

Not sure if Hi Spec use a sierra pad or not, its just something that has supprised me and caught me out.

I know that a lot of classic Ford guys use Hi Spec but there is also a little negative news in their circles as well. For me, having Hi Spec about a mile down the road, I would consider using them as they are so local.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

MadMaxx

posted on 10/9/16 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I have got willwoods powerlites and they seem very good.

The only negative i can see (which may not be that much of a negative) is they are a special pad unique to them. There is plenty of choice out there but this did not help when I was at Mallory Park (near Leicester) and could not find ANY stockist within an hours drive.

Also the bleed nipple is a funny size, again probably not unique to Willwood but was for me as I did not have the correct tool in my rather large collection.

Not sure if Hi Spec use a sierra pad or not, its just something that has supprised me and caught me out.

I know that a lot of classic Ford guys use Hi Spec but there is also a little negative news in their circles as well. For me, having Hi Spec about a mile down the road, I would consider using them as they are so local.

Pads for Hi Spec are the same as for Elise

[Edited on 10/9/16 by MadMaxx]

My re-building diary:

http://www.llcc.it/YetAnotherForum.NET/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13448

daniel mason

posted on 10/9/16 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on budget and caliper mounting.
The radical branded capliers on the radical websites are actually a hi spec lug mount, 4 pot race caliper. With performance friction pf01 pads they are like nothing else I've experienced. A big Step up from wilwood but very expensive

[Edited on 10/9/16 by daniel mason]

sdh2903

posted on 10/9/16 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you decide to go for hi specs the best advice I would give is to buy from a reputable 3rd party. That way you don't have to deal with the muppets direct. I suspect a decent reseller will get much higher priority than your average Joe buying direct.

I would stay away from the ultralight calipers as there have been lots of reports of them flexing. Theres no doubt as Dan says they make some decent gear but for me the diabolical service means I will never use any of their products.

daniel mason

posted on 10/9/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
The radical big brake kit is absolutely mega!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.