Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap TIG?
Slimy38

posted on 15/4/18 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap TIG?

Has anyone used one of the cheap options for TIG? I'm referring to the TIG/MMA such as the Clarke units;

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-at162-arc-tigmma-inverter-welder/

together with a TIG setup such as this;

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-tig-welding-torch-assembly-for-at161-in/

The reason I ask is that I got a VAT free day through from Machinemart, and I'm tempted to have a go at TIG. I don't really want to spend loads on a good TIG setup, but then again I don't want to spend money on something that is unusable.

theconrodkid

posted on 15/4/18 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have a similar one, it works well on steel only obviously, the killer is the gas tho, it aint cheap and you do use
a lot of it

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

v8kid

posted on 15/4/18 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I bought this "TIG WELDER 200 AMP PULSE WSM WELDER 2 YEAR UK WARRANTY UK SELLER" off ebay just cos it looked identical to my bro in laws which has given faultless service for 4 years. As a bonus he paid £250 for it and mine came in at £180.

Pumps out 200A no problem. Well when I say no problem the torch gets bloody hot I guess you need water cooled torches to weld with 200A continuous. Usually I'm around 80 -100A and the welder supplies this for as long as I want to weld.

Quality is good. The arc strikes easily and the HF turns off by itself when arc established. Arc is stable and does not wander about and the welds look pretty cos its easy to make even steps.

Bro in law uses his as a portable stick welder on the boat and it gets some abuse running flat out but never falters.

Another TOP TIP is get 2 dioptre lenses for your welding helmet they are the best thing since sliced bread. No need to take your glasses off everything is in focus and magnified making placing the welding rod easy and contributing to those pretty welds.

I used to knock cheap Chinese stuff buy the quality is increasing in later years and I would have no hesitation in taking a punt.

Cheers!

Just read Conrodkids comments the answer is Adams gas suppliers.

[Edited on 15-4-18 by v8kid]

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 15/4/18 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
I have a similar one, it works well on steel only obviously, the killer is the gas tho, it aint cheap and you do use
a lot of it

Why only steel? Can't it do aluminium?

MikeRJ

posted on 15/4/18 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
a lot of it

Why only steel? Can't it do aluminium?

No, you need an AC/DC TIG if you want to weld aluminium and steel. Aluminium doesn't weld at all well with DC which is what these cheap inverters produce.

DanP

posted on 15/4/18 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the kit you linked to (older version though) as my first tig set (and first welder) it got me started and I did manage to make a pair of SS headers for a V8 (see my archive) with it but with scratch start and no foot pedal (plus being pretty new) I had to do A LOT of grinding.

If you look on youtube for "welding tips and tricks" he does show how to and where you would use scratch start.

I upgraded to a AC/DC set with a foot pedal from R-Tech and I would never go back, it is more expensive but it is significantly better. I think they do some cheaper DC only machines too.

If it were me I would save up and get a proper HF start with a foot-pedal.
This: https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-welder-240v-dc-160amp/ would not disappoint.

Cheers,
Dan

JonBowden

posted on 16/4/18 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I went for the R-tech too,
I find it to be excellent but I am tempted by the cheap Chinese AC/DC TIGs as I'd really like to be able to weld aluminium.
I looked into gas options fairly carefully.
For me to get biggish rent free cylinders, I'd have to drive a significant distance but I have a BOC agent around the corner from me.
I have rented a Size Y cylinder for I think £75/year and £50 per refill - these are big heavy cylinders.
The break even point for BOC vs the best value rent free cylinders was about two BOC refills per year.

[Edited on 16/4/18 by JonBowden]

Jon

prawnabie

posted on 16/4/18 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got the above AD/DC rtech one if you want to come round and have a look I'm not far from you

[Edited on 16/4/18 by prawnabie]

[Edited on 16/4/18 by prawnabie]

suzcruz

posted on 2/6/20 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Might just bump this thread instead of making a new one.
Question; would a 120 amp inverter be enough for a locost?

I have a mig in another city, but i really want to get hours up on tig and become much more able, filler runs, uphand, etc.

Chinese inverters safe enough or pure hell?

No brain, no pain!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.