<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electricians pay
ady8077

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Electricians pay

Hi all

Any sparky's on here?
We had a meeting to day about state of company, apparently were not doing too good, so boss has decided :-

no anual pay rise

all travel time to be payed as normal hours ( used to be time & a half )

and first one hour of travel time per day to be unpayed

seems a bit unfair to me

Adrian

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
If your not happy get a job alsewhere.
One of two things come to mind.
1 things are bad jump ship now and get another job, or if your entitled to a lot of redundancy work to rule (overtimes optional etc) and wait for the firm to go bust.
2 Times are hard so in order not to loose out on his cut the boss keeps his prices the same for next year and you have to do as you've said to make up for it.

A lot of firms will only pay for one way travel in this area anyway. However it's a supply and demand thing and it depends on how much you want/need to keep your workforce.

[Edited on 2/1/08 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

The Great Fandango

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no electrician but can safely say that any company that shifts the goal posts or changes their employees' working terms would half expect the employees to re-negotiate terms.

This way a compromise is found and it avoids the unnecessaries.

So rally the troops and have a chat, then fight united against the company.

Sound to me like you work for a small company, am I correct? This doesn't tend to happen with bigger companies where the HR departments act on behalf of the employee as well as the company. Have you got an HR dept.?

Feel for you matey, good luck.

[Edited on 2/1/08 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

JoelP

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
i do first 50 miles unpaid!
rusty nuts

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Try being self employed , NO paid traveling
The Great Fandango

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you work for yourself as a contractor you can claim all manner of things on expenses (fuel 40p per mile for the first 10,000 miles 25p thereafter, tax exemptions etc. etc.)

Have you thought about going alone as a contractor for a bigger company.

It's not unheard of to offer your old company the option to take you on as a contractor under your terms so they avoid a whole load of paperwork concerning you as one of their employees.

PS: I wrote this before reading Rusty Nut's post so please don't read into it

[Edited on 2/1/08 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

smart51

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
My last company wouldn't pay overtime for traveling. Quite a few people tried to arrange overseas meetings for Tuesdays rather than Mondays.

I don't see why you should be paid extra for traveling time but neither do I think you should be paid nothing, other than for reasonable commuting difference if you work off site.

It could either be that business is hard and the boss is doing his best to keep everyone employed or it could be that you're the easiest way to keep costs low.

gazza285

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Do you like working there?

Are the rates of pay any good in the first place.

Sounds like you had a damn good deal on the travel, and now times are harder you are having to make do with what still amounts to more than most people get, and is still above the nationally agreed rates for travel and you ask me if it sounds unfair.

End of the day you work for money and if you think you are not getting enough then go elsewhere and get it. Try not to become another moaning electrician, there's enough of them already.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ady8077

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yes its only a small firm 4 sparks 3 mates

He now doesn't class travel as overtime, so expects us to be onsite from 8 till 5 nomater where we are

Adrian

cossiebri

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used to work for a company that didn't class driving as 'work, you got paid- but was expected to do a full days graft when you got there. Sounds easy but the jobs was all over the country & europe.Having to get on the road at 4:00am to get to rosyth and then work 8-10 hrs when you got there or drive through the night to get to messina? in Italy then do a full day!!

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Attitudes are hardening, The bearded one told his trolley dollys planning a strike, if you dont like the job go elsewhere.

Look at this site for a sparks pay sparks dosh

looks like a great deal.......going back to pulling my wire on cold muddy sites in the dark

gazza285

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have never worked anywhere that classes travel as overtime.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
i was on an expensive new build site in london last year,they paid the sparkies £6 an hour
(poles of course) thats prob why your boss is having problems

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Hellfire

posted on 2/1/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
When times get tough the tough get going. If you don't like it vote with your feet...

Sorry to be abrupt but it's times like these that the most sort after (otherwise known as 'the cream' rises. Good sparkies are hard to come by...

I know of Self Contractor's earning £50/hr... though no travelling, travel or overtime is paid and can cancel the contract at the drop of a hat. I work on average 12 hours/day no overtime or travel benefits apart from my Privately Fuelled company car.

Steve

[Edited on 2-1-08 by Hellfire]

ady8077

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285

Sounds like you had a damn good deal on the travel, and now times are harder you are having to make do with what still amounts to more than most people get, and is still above the nationally agreed rates for travel and you ask me if it sounds unfair.

Thats what my boss thinks

What is the standard rate for travel?

Adrian

gazza285

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know what sparkies are like, but after the changes in the CIS4 regs last year not many engineering firms are that willing to take subbies on now. Going from £1200 a 40hr week after tax to the national rates has certainly given my finances an unwelcome shock, and I'm seeing more and more Baltic states erectors and fitters on site every job more or less, especially in the smoke.

joneh

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Try working for a large electrical retailer - I get mileage but as of Sat I will have no idea which store I'll be in. This year I've been in 6 different stores on the south coast, which are about 100 miles apart.

Anyone got any IT role vacancies in the Hants area?

gazza285

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
The AEEU agreed travel rates are by radius payment which is up to £13.77 for anything over 35 miles, anything under 35 miles gets less down to nothing for less than 8 miles. If you are over 35 miles you are also entitled to lodge payments only if you do lodge, then travel is paid at £6 per hour plus the cheapest available single train fare every three weeks. Simple eh?

ady8077

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
The AEEU agreed travel rates are by radius payment which is up to £13.77 for anything over 35 miles, anything under 35 miles gets less down to nothing for less than 8 miles. If you are over 35 miles you are also entitled to lodge payments only if you do lodge, then travel is paid at £6 per hour plus the cheapest available single train fare every three weeks. Simple eh?

Eh???

I'm going to Luton tomorrow 72 miles each way, how much ?

Also just looked at the JIB site, they've just had a payrise, £1.40 per hour more than i get

Adrian

gazza285

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
£13.77.

I'm going to Scunthorpe for the day tomorrow, 150 mile round trip, I'll get £13.77. Manchester of Friday, 52 mile round trip £11.48.

If I had two days in Scunthorpe and I lodged for one night I would get 2 hours travel, so 2 x £6 and £28.19 lodge, a total of £40.19 with which I would have to find somewhere to stay and feed myself, as well as fuel the van.

gazza285

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
JIB rates are all here for those that are interested.

http://www.amicustheunion.org/pdf/2008%202009%202010%20Operatives%20Determination.pdf

Going to bed now, up at four..........

thunderace

posted on 2/1/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
NEVER SEEN A SPARK NEEDING A JOB HAVE YOU ???????????GO AND TAKE A LOOK AT WHATS ON OFFER,,,,,,,,,,,
YES AND YOU BOSS IS DRIVING AN OLD WORKS VAN SURE HE IS.

ady8077

posted on 2/1/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
NEVER SEEN A SPARK NEEDING A JOB HAVE YOU ???????????GO AND TAKE A LOOK AT WHATS ON OFFER,,,,,,,,,,,
YES AND YOU BOSS IS DRIVING AN OLD WORKS VAN SURE HE IS.

My boss doesn't drive a van, he doesn't have any electrical qualifications, he used to be a compressor salesman

Adrian

nitram38

posted on 2/1/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Working for JIB rates/travel time etc, is an illusion!
What counts is how much you end up with in your pocket and what you have to do or pay out to get it.
I am afraid that if you want the "security" of a paye job, you will have to put up with the terms and conditions dictated by others.
My only recommendation is become a contractor, not CIS4 but a Ltd company.
You will pay less tax than paye and end up with more in your pocket.
Having your own company will get around the employee status as you are already an employee of a company......your own!
The only downside is having enough regular work.
Going back to school and getting your 2391 and part P will also place you better in the jobs market against the eastern block countries. They are mainly the conduit/trunking/tray bashers anyway.
I know lots of 2391 testers who are earning £18 per hour.
I have gone into maintenance for an IT comms room enviroment with UPS/Generators/Airconditioning etc, which requires a bit more knowledge than the average spark and I have been there for 5 years.

martyn_16v

posted on 2/1/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ady8077
expects us to be onsite from 8 till 5 nomater where we are

Sparkies on site after 3pm? Pull the other one, it's got bells on

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.