Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: lower bone
Johneturbo

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
lower bone

Hey all, thought i'd post here as i might not be the only one to do this.
i've fitted my lower wishbone with the bracket for the pushrod at the bottom, like i've seen in other build diarys.

i went for the first test drive today on a airfield. but lower spherical bearing pulled out past the circlip. with the car landing on its belly/nose
the only thing i can think of is the lowerbone is upside down. how have you guys fitted yours? is it like mine in the pic (it's not a great pic) with the pushrod bracket at the bottom, which mean the circlip is taking all the weight of the car Rescued attachment Front view.jpg
Rescued attachment Front view.jpg

amalyos

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Lower wishbone should be like this. Rescued attachment Front Lower Wishbone.JPG
Rescued attachment Front Lower Wishbone.JPG

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

bassett

posted on 11/5/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I assumed it was how you had yours as from the manual it looked like the pushrod was on the underside.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

worX

posted on 12/5/08 at 05:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thats not how it is in the manual though.

Not that I am saying you're wrong because I also thought it made more sense that way round, but I just followed the manual...

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos
Lower wishbone should be like this.

GeorgeM

posted on 12/5/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with amalyos.

The build manual does show the pushrod mount
under the bone, but this puts all the weight
on the circlip.
Turn the bones over.

GeorgeM

Johneturbo

posted on 12/5/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ok guys
I turned the bones over so the circlip is facing down. one thing i've noticed thou is the lower bones don't sit horizontal, it sits lower than the chassis because the pushrod is on top, thats with about 6 threads on the coilovers showing.

worX, i've just had a look at your build pics of Tims car, seems there are two types of front lower bones then!.

stuart_g

posted on 12/5/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
John, mine are the same as yours with the pushrod mount on the bottom. It's going to be a real b'stard to change them over now. I'm sure the build manual shows them this way, have you spoken to MNR about it?

Did you keep the bones on the same side and did you end up with the top bone rod end behind the bottom bone?

TimC

posted on 13/5/08 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
worX, i've just had a look at your build pics of Tims car, seems there are two types of front lower bones then!.

Knowing Marc, probably more likely 11 types of front wishbone.

Johneturbo

posted on 13/5/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
John, mine are the same as yours with the pushrod mount on the bottom. It's going to be a real b'stard to change them over now. I'm sure the build manual shows them this way, have you spoken to MNR about it?

Did you keep the bones on the same side and did you end up with the top bone rod end behind the bottom bone?

Hey Stu, you might still be ok is your circlip under or ontop? if its ontop then you need to turn them over. i didn't swap sides just turned them over.

only thing now is the lower bone does sit below horizontal.

i'm just glad it fell out when it did and not on the road. the only damage is the nose is rashed and cracked
ps i've not spoken to mnr

[Edited on 13/5/08 by Johneturbo]

stuart_g

posted on 13/5/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
John, if there are two versions can you not get the version which has the circlip underneath from MNR? If your lower bones are not horizontal it doesn't seem right according to the manual. I'll check mine and let you know.
Davey D

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
My lower bones have the pushrod mount underneath,and the circlip on top... its got me a little worried now after reading this.

I think we need to get Mark in here to clarify what is what

GeorgeM

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
can you not adjust the pushrods
to get the bones level??
GeorgeM

marc n

posted on 14/5/08 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
hi all
there are 2 different variants of wishbones, the wishbone uniball location in the bottom arm has been inspected by two independant engineers and approved to run either way round, in fact my original car still runs with the clip at the top, as long as the circlip is fully engaged then there is no problem running it either way round although most run as per stuarts pic
edit to add:- dont worry about the ride height implications as once the car has been used a bit the suspension will drop at least 20mm from where you originally set it

cheers

marc

[Edited on 14/5/08 by marc n]

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 14/5/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Two "independant engineers" may have approved that setup. (Must have bought their qualifications online. )

But tell me and the rest of us, what is the safest, and therefore the only, way to use that wishbone on the road.?

Cheers,

Syd.

marc n

posted on 14/5/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

But tell me and the rest of us, what is the safest, and therefore the only, way to use that wishbone on the road.?

the best way for sure is to have circlip below, my point was it has been approved for use either way round and has indeed been used both ways round

cheers

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 14/5/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
to avoid confusion ref build manual im going to take it off line and try to update so there are clearer pictures and better wording in places and also pictures relevant to the newer cars.

cheers

marc

Johneturbo

posted on 14/5/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, so my car ended up on its belly (with a damaged nose) through no fault of my own? i thought it was because i had the lower bone the wrong way round.

i'd recommend anyone that has it the same way i did, to turn them around.

stuart_g

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I checked mine tonight and mine have the circlips on top. I don't know what to do now either. I have the lower bones level as it is as per manual. IMHO it looks better with the pushrod mount on the bottom and with the bones the other way up looks like they are on upside down.

One thought is why can't the bearing carriers be welded on with the circlips on the bottom along with the pushrod mounts, surely this would solve the problem.

I really need to know wether to turn the lower bones over or not.

If they have been approved for use either way up what are the chances of having both circlips not seated properly as in John's case?

Marc, In this pic you have the lower wishbones on with the pushrod mounts at the bottom, are the circlips on top? Rescued attachment car3.jpg
Rescued attachment car3.jpg

marc n

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
yes my car has circlips on top and always has had that car is the same chassis ive always used but has gone through a few body colour changes, and two years of use racing trackdays and road

in regards to chances of clip not seated this is the first one.

Going forward i would suggest for everyones piece of mind that every car should have the circlip mounted underneath and also that a thourough check is done to ensure that the circlips are correctly seated,

the manual is a little ambiguos in this area as various drafts exist and in many places photos and descriptions are contradictory some of the photos used our in fact builders own

If anyone has any doubts or is confused please feel free to contact us immediately and we can talk you through how to check and identify your setup

Saftey is paramount so if in doubt ask

best regards

marc

marc n

posted on 15/5/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
john regarding your nosecone damage please can you contact us with details / damage, and then we will resolve for you

cheers

marc

Johneturbo

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
An update to say thanks to mnr for resolving my misfortune
finlay

posted on 22/5/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
this is a bit of a blow, i have fitted mine as per the manual with the circlip on top, it will be a right pain to switch them round,

what is everyone else doing ?

i am swaying towards just leaving them as is with the circlip on top as per manual

marc n

posted on 22/5/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
i would recommend that now one has lost its circlip it is better for piece of mind to flip over.

cheers

marc

gr8ging

posted on 23/5/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
What about the RT(outboard) theres no option to turn the bones over as the shock mount is on the top!!? So should we run with this risk of the circlip popping out???

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

marc n

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
i have drawn up a metal retaining spigot that goes over the circlip held in by 5 m5 bolts which should be available in approx 3 weeks time

cheers

marc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.