Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: She lives!!!!!
Gergely

posted on 13/10/08 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
She lives!!!!!

There you go! The engine works!!!
The wiring, which we feared most is a cracked nut!!!
Thanks to the R1 fury build page, suggestions from you guys and chockymonsters excellent step by step guide, we started the engine first time!
Turned the key, pushed the button (after a sanity check with a bulb of course), and after a few turns, the engine settled to a healthy idle...

Now for the question:
When pressing the accelerator even the slightest, the engine immediately stalls.
We have the airbox on, and run the engine without the Power Commander installed yet, just on its own ECU. And we use a Bosch fuel pump.
Could the different air intake setup and no Power Commander be the reason? Or is there something else that could cause this?
One more info: There is one sensor (I think the air intake temperature sensor from memory) that we have just hanging around, not in the airbox housing. Could this be the cause? I don't think so...
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks for any info!
We are very happy! It runs, so no real issues probably, just needs some tinkering with...
Gergely
PS: A video will follow once I download it...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 13/10/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats on the engine running.

I had exactly that problem with an SVA map loaded into the power commander but as you haven't got that fitted that rules that out.

When you turn the ignition on check that the secondary butterfly servo motor goes through it's check It sounds like it's fuel/air mix problem to me. Have you any error codes on the dash?

marc n

posted on 13/10/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
fantastic news

try one of the web power commander maps and se if that sorts it

well done and best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
001Ben

posted on 13/10/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Does it stall once the engine is up to temp?
yorkshire-engines

posted on 13/10/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi well done told you it was easy

check that you have the choke system piped up to the water ok its on the throttle bodies

this is usually the problem

cheer s malc

Agriv8

posted on 14/10/08 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
sound like the second set of buterflies to me too But if not what fuel presure ? possibly just enought to tickover but not enough when the injector open time is more - Just a thought.

Ps Where the vidio ??

But in all honesty you have done well.

Now go and make a mess in your far too clean garage and get it finished

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 14/10/08 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Gergely

posted on 14/10/08 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all!
Brilliant feeling!

quote:

check that you have the choke system piped up to the water ok its on the throttle bodies

Sorry, I don't quite get this Malc, can you please explain to someone who is not an expert...

What do I check / adjust / change?

quote:

sound like the second set of buterflies to me too But if not what fuel presure ? possibly just enought to tickover but not enough when the injector open time is more - Just a thought.

Butterflies? How d I check that Iain?
Fuel pressure... well I use the MNR supplied pump, so that should be fine, I guess...
Gergely

Agriv8

posted on 14/10/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
From memeory ( I think it is on the New R1's but I get confused by all the different ones ). One set of butterflies are connected to the ( in BEC case ) the accelerator pedal.

When you open these these there are a second set of butterflies these are operated Via a selaniod from the ECU ( emmisions control really ) so when the engine is running when you blip the throtle the ecu controled second set should also move.

Let me know if they are not there or do not move

regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Agriv8

posted on 14/10/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Gergly

Just had alook in your photo archive and I think I can see the selanoid for the Ecu controlled butterflies

for Malc question post up a photo of the throtle bodies from the side futhest away from the spark plugs ( I can not see one in your archive ) with this I think I may be able to assist.

We will look into these before looking at fuel presure

regards

Agriv8

smart51

posted on 14/10/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
My (carbed) engine does this if I start it when it is very cold. A bit of choke solves it until the engine warms up a bit. It is due to a very weak fuel mixture. When you open the throttle slightly, the extra air kills the engine.
TimC

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
My (carbed) engine does this if I start it when it is very cold. A bit of choke solves it until the engine warms up a bit. It is due to a very weak fuel mixture. When you open the throttle slightly, the extra air kills the engine.

Hi Colin
Once it's warm, is all ok? I ran mine up to temp (70 degrees anyway) for the first time and experienced the same problem, even at this temperature. When I ran the engine for a short time ages ago, I din't have the same problem. All I've changed is the carb bellmouths which are now machined down. Could it be 3 month old fuel? It's a carb'd (5JJ) motor btw.

Thanks

TC

Gergely

posted on 17/10/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ok guys, I will take some pics this weekend of the throttle bodies, also try to run the engine for longer to get it warm and then see what happens.
Currently the wires are off again to lengthen them where needed and wrap them nicely into one neat harness.
Gergely

Gergely

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, I couldn't run the engine this weekend, but I took some pictures of the engine, maybe you can spot the reason why it stalled each time we tried blipping the throttle.

Engine right side 1
Engine right side 1

Engine right side 2
Engine right side 2

And one more question: where do I place the air pressure sensor? Currently it is just hanging on the wire harness...
R1 air pressure sensor
R1 air pressure sensor

Thanks!!
Gergely

Agriv8

posted on 29/10/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi gergely,

Just had a look at a 03 wiring diagrame online ( cant find an 05 easilly - any ofers ? ) We Might have missed the obvious have you switched the side stand switch ? ( cant remeber if you have to Make or Break this connection - there may also be a relay in there somwhere is it present ? ) need an 05 diagrame really. but that could explain it ??

if Not

Looks like two sets of butterflies, one set of these are controlled by the ECU.

so you need to check continuity between throttle pot and ecu ( this tells the ECu how much you have opened the throtle )
and from the ecu to the selanoid operated butterflies.

regards

Agriv8

edited to add anout stand switch

[Edited on 29/10/08 by Agriv8]

Gergely

posted on 30/10/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Iain,
Thanks! The side stand switch is permanently connected, as is the clutch switch, otherwise the engine would not have started at all.

quote:

so you need to check continuity between throttle pot and ecu ( this tells the ECu how much you have opened the throtle )

Right... you will need to explain this to me in a step-by-step, schoolteacher way... don't forget I am a foreigner who doesn't know much about bike engines at all...
All of what you have said is chinese to me... does it mean that there is a second set of butterflies that possibly do not open properly on our engine? where do I measure these then?

(In worst case I guess I can have a Yamaha expert look at it in Hungary...)
Thanks!
Gergely

Agriv8

posted on 30/10/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
Hi Iain,
Thanks! The side stand switch is permanently connected,

HI Gergley,

I would have thought the bike would start and tickover with the stand down and the bike in neatral ( but don't quote me on that ) just switch the Stand switch the other way and let me know what happens.

also are you using the bike clocks ( is the neutral gear light showing ? ).

I really need a 05 r1 blade wiring diagrame off to post up a request back soon Iain.

road warrior

posted on 30/10/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Gergely

To check your throttle butterflies - un clip the air filter and turn the ignition on and they will self cycle. e.g open and close. You should also hear the solenoid motor when it does it. The alloy base plate may be fouling the mechanism if it doesn't.

Do you have a standard dash? If so email me and I will get you some info on how to check the fault codes.

I forgot to add that the air pressure sensor is normally under the seat on the bike near the battery. Mine is under the dash as that is near the battery and associated wiring.

Cheers
Sonja

[Edited on 30/10/08 by road warrior]

[Edited on 30/10/08 by road warrior]

Agriv8

posted on 30/10/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
well we have our excelent wiring diagram ( thanks Ko_racer )

2005 R1 Digrame in PDF

Will study this on the way home and try and post back later.

let us know if your throttle butterflies go through the self cycle ( chers for that sonja ) if they dont we have found the problem and then we just have to fix it

regards

Agriv8

Agriv8

posted on 5/11/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
gergly,

have you fixed it yet ?

If so where are the Vidios

Regards

Agriv8

Gergely

posted on 5/11/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
No, we haven't fixed it yet, to be honest, we were working on the body fitting now, we have not even finalised the wiring.
We wanted to get the bodywork out of the way, it took a lot of space in the garage...
Here is how it looks like now:

The car in November 2008
The car in November 2008

For the video of the original first start (bad quality) check out our blog (in hungarian, but the video is still on the front page a couple of entries down):
The Hungarian blog

And for all the pictures without any Hungarian nonsense (the most recent pics are at the back of the slideshow):
Build pictures

Cheers!
Gergely

Triggerhappy

posted on 5/11/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
R1 2004-2006 full workshopmanual
http://yzf-r1forum.net/manuals/index.html

Gergely

posted on 5/11/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for all the wiring diagrams. We have these and the manual, too. We followed that and the engine runs,so we are not that worried. Sure the engine needs some running, getting warm, sorting with Power Commander, so we decided to go on with the build and once the body and scuttle are on, then finalise the wiring - anyway we need to fix many electric components on the latter.
I have even found a Power Commander setup place in Hungary that is willing to help with the setup, so I am not too worried.
I will keep you updated of course!
Gergely

Gergely

posted on 4/12/08 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
We finally had the chance to start the engine again after a month of bodywork and suspension work. We finalised the wiring and fired the engine yesterday night. We let the engine run for a while, when it started to be smokey as a bar in the garage, so we opened the garage door. Then, when we thought it was warm enough, dad reached for the throttle cable on the engine side and pulled it. Blimey!!! That thing revs ferociously and loudly! We thought the car was not that loud last time, but believe me it will be plenty loud...
We almost got scared from it and killed the engine... But had to have another go just for the sound...
I apologise from the neighbours, who probably had no clue what that was at half past eleven at night, but it is such a great sound and such a relief that everything works!!!!

One thing I know is that I won't worry about the possible rattling of panels, or rivet heads in the chassis tubes... it will be impossible to hear over the engine. Fact!

Thanks all for the tips! Here are a few pics on the current status.
Gergely

The car in December 2008
The car in December 2008

The dash in December 2008
The dash in December 2008

Our build pictures

marc n

posted on 4/12/08 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
hi gergly

looking very good so far

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.