Board logo

Email addresses reminder
ChrisW - 4/4/12 at 08:56 AM

Hi All

Just a gentle reminder about email addresses on the site as I've had a chap recently who posted his email address in a thread and is now getting spammed.

The site does get crawled by spam bots. There is nothing we can do about this. If you post your email address in plain view you must expect to get spammed - it's a fact of life.

The 'email' button will appear at the bottom of your posts as long as you have 'make my email address viewable by others' switched on in your profile, which you will have unless you have specifically turned it off.

However, the email button only appears for verified users. For newer users (last 3-4 years) that means they will have had to go through the phone verification system, for older users it means they must have registered before the phone system was implemented AND must have made some sensible posts whilst being a member, otherwise they would have been automatically deleted by now.

In case you hadn't guessed, it's very unlikely that a spam bot would comply with either of those requirements, so having the address viewable via the email button should be safe.

So, the moral of the story is that if you want to give someone your email address in a post make sure the 'make my email address viewable by others' option is set and then point them to the button below your post.

Any questions, please start a thread in the 'Website Problems/Suggestions' section.

Cheers, Chris