Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Personalised Registration
Hellfire

posted on 26/6/18 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Personalised Registration

Hi,

I have recently purchased a personalised registration for my daily driver. I had expected to receive a V778 Retention Certificate through the post. Instead, it would appear that the current owner of the plate (an alleged car company) has just had the V5C back for the vehicle and can now either transfer the number directly to my vehicle (i'm assuming he would need to know my VIN Number and name and address) or put the registration onto retention and send me the certificate.

I have no reason to believe the seller is disingenuine but as a I've never done this before, am wary of giving him all the details.

Am I right to be concerned or is it a relatively common and straightforward process to quiockly transfer the number?

Any advice appreciated.....

Phil

nick205

posted on 26/6/18 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I assumed that if you sold a registration plate it went and you were issued with a replacement. Never done it personally though so I can't say for sure. As a buyer I'd have expected to get either a retention certificate or the option to put it on a suitable car.
tims31

posted on 26/6/18 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'd take a look here on the DVLA website or give them a call.

I'm like you and would be wary against giving out the VIN details. Might be right but sorry I have never done it.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

loggyboy

posted on 26/6/18 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ask for the retention. They fill out your details on that so you can become the legal owner. Make sure they make you the grantee not nominee. Fees will be the same as they only charge one fee per conpleted transfer, and retention isnt the competed transfer.

Mistral Motorsport

ChrisW

posted on 27/6/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY they will need the document reference from your existing V5 and to pay the £80 fee. I think then it is done online and you can use the plate straight away. The website generates an electronic authority letter that lets you get the plates made before your new V5 turns up but there are plenty of places online that will just send you plates without that paperwork so it's not the end of the world if you don't get that.

If you go the retention certificate route be prepared for a couple of weeks wait. DVLA takes ages to do it.

Personally I would just send them the info and let them sort it out.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 28/6/18 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I've used these guys before to have number plates made. Quick, not expensive and perfectly useable plates (currently have a pair on SWMBOs car).

https://www.myshowplates.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.