Board logo

New VIN
Slimy38 - 22/6/23 at 02:08 PM

Another offer of information rather than a request, I remember someone on here asking about it but I can't find the post now. This is about getting a VIN from DVLA.

To get a VIN, I sent an email to dvlavin@dvla.gov.uk, asking about the process. They responded asking for my postal address. That was all I had on email, I guess I should have expected the DVLA to do everything by post!!

Anyhow, this morning (about a week after I sent my address), I got a pack from DVLA. It contains a set of paperwork that looks to be everything needed to register the car. It also includes a DVLA allocated VIN which I can stamp on to the chassis at some point.

Of course, I was only enquiring at this stage, I'm still a fair distance away from a working car!! Thankfully there doesn't appear to be any time expiry on registration, and at least I can see what needs to be done for paperwork after the IVA.

gremlin1234 - 22/6/23 at 02:40 PM

thank you,
out of interest, what did you put as manufacturers name?
you should keep this consistent for all the registration / iva paperwork.

Slimy38 - 22/6/23 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
thank you,
out of interest, what did you put as manufacturers name?
you should keep this consistent for all the registration / iva paperwork.

Nothing yet. It was literally a request for information, I wasn't expecting to get the VIN itself. The VIN begins 'DVLASW...' so I'm guessing that's where a manufacturers name would show up.

gremlin1234 - 22/6/23 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Nothing yet. It was literally a request for information, I wasn't expecting to get the VIN itself. The VIN begins 'DVLASW...' so I'm guessing that's where a manufacturers name would show up.

ah, that's good keeps your options open

adampage - 22/6/23 at 05:54 PM

I did mine via the same email address but then everything was on email or phone, not by post.
I had a very helpful note with documents and links, and then sorted everything online, and booked the Iva fairly quickly too.

I was expecting a nightmare but it was easy….

Need to book a retest now though!

Ad