Board logo

trying to kill itself
germanguy - 21/6/10 at 01:30 PM

been driving my toy over the weekend and have kinda noticed a smell onse in a while
didn`t think anything off it until battery warning light comes on and voltage fluctuates around 11 to 12 volts
hrmm lets have a look i thought quick word with mark ....thanks again mark.... and off comes the voltage reg again trying to set fire to itself darn thing Rescued attachment IMG_0228.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0228.jpg

Bluemoon - 21/6/10 at 01:44 PM

Looks likebad connection overheating (i.e. high resistance)...

germanguy - 21/6/10 at 02:18 PM

iether that or voltage reg has killed itself have ordered a new one just in case

Bluemoon - 21/6/10 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by germanguy
iether that or voltage reg has killed itself have ordered a new one just in case

Maybe likely still to be a poor connection, corrosion on pins loose wire etc. The voltage regulator deals with quite high currents you don't need much resistance to to generate a lot of heat.

Dan

gingerprince - 21/6/10 at 02:58 PM

Mine did that. Twice. Once ate the block connector (and hosed itself), then melted the blade connectors I connected the replacement rectifier with. It's now soldered in and been fine ever since.

loggyboy - 21/6/10 at 04:22 PM

Bad earth.

germanguy - 21/6/10 at 04:36 PM

moved the lacation to within the engine bay rewired the darn thing and presto it does kinda work well at least until my new one arrives