Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My luck finally ran out.
ash_hammond

posted on 7/5/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
My luck finally ran out.

After three years of running I've finally been caught by the rain.

Thankfully I was able to switch from the sunnies to the helmet and call at my parents on the way home to pick up a water proof coat.

It was just my right arm and shoulders that got wet. I was quite impressed.

The car drove very well. Thankfully I dont run R888, the T1S held the road very well, I still managed to have an enthusiastic drive back.

Just as I made to final turn uphill into the cul-de-sac the engine died.

Initial thoughts... water in the electrics..... then I looked at the fuel level.... empty..... ran to the garage to get the emergency gallon of fuel and wrooom up the hill we went.

Weak link in the chain... my wee ball planning and thinking cars run on fresh air.

6 microfibre cloths later and she is as dry as a bone.

Happy Motoring.

Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

jacko

posted on 7/5/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Great isn't it i have just got home from going to see my ma & pa it was raining like mad on the way home but if you keep moving it misses you with the wind / air stream
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 7/5/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I got stuck on the M40 a while back with absolutely torrential rain - It was like driving sitting in the bath!
germanguy

posted on 7/5/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
i only got caught out onse with 888 that was kinda "intresting"
SteveWalker

posted on 7/5/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
When I took mine for SVA, it absolutely bucketed down, complete with thunder and lightning! It didn't help that I'd left a tarp over the car, which filled with water and literally, as I walked towards it, the weight pulled the tarp down, the edge dropped over the windscreen and deposited the lot on the driver's seat before I'd even got in! As I set off, the rain got heavier.
Johneturbo

posted on 7/5/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
R888's in the rain are absolutely fine, i've been cought out a couple times and once on a airfield track day with standing water on the back straight! i think it's myth that they don't/can't cope!
jacko

posted on 7/5/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
When I took mine for SVA, it absolutely bucketed down, complete with thunder and lightning! It didn't help that I'd left a tarp over the car, which filled with water and literally, as I walked towards it, the weight pulled the tarp down, the edge dropped over the windscreen and deposited the lot on the driver's seat before I'd even got in! As I set off, the rain got heavier.

Yes but did it PASS that day
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeorgeM

posted on 7/5/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
R888's in the rain are absolutely fine, i've been cought out a couple times and once on a airfield track day with standing water on the back straight! i think it's myth that they don't/can't cope!

+1,

drove for an hour in heavy rain on the way home from Stoneleigh last year. - not the only time either.
As with any car/tyres, drive to the conditions.

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

DRC INDY 7

posted on 7/5/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer the toyo 888 in the rain than the yoko car tyres that i used to have and i mean banging it down rain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

welderman

posted on 7/5/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Been out in rain with 888's on. Feel ok. Rain don't get you if you saty in the 3 figure's.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

GeoffT

posted on 7/5/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I found that in a lightweight '7' Toyo 888's had far more grip in the rain than the Yoko 539's they replaced. It's only on standing water that there's issues with them apparently, but if it's raining that hard I won't be going too far or too fast anyway......
Wadders

posted on 7/5/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I once drove 25miles home from drag racing at York Raceway, in monsoon conditions....had a pair of worn out Avon ACB10's on the
back, my good wheels were in the passenger seat, but the rain was so heavy i couldn't be arsed changing them back over....... Now that was interesting !

Had to drill holes in the floor when i got home to let the bath water out !!

888's are fine if you use your noggin

Al.

welderman

posted on 7/5/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Been out in rain with 888's on. Feel ok. Rain don't get you if you saty in the 3 figure's.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

SteveWalker

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

Yes but did it PASS that day
Jacko

No, but it only failed on padding of the tank straps and mirror positions.

gaz_gaz

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
i picked mine up yesterday in Wales, fella told me it put a fuel light on with 1 gallon left,
fuel light came on and to my surprise it ran out 2 miles later,

luckily the mrs drove me too wales and followed me back so went and got me some fuel while i pushed the car about half a mile to a lay-by.

just as i got going again the heavans opened but i only had 8 or 9 miles left too go.

R888's where surprisingly good in the wet with only the 1 little moment to mention abit eager to leave a roundabout

oh and the jumper i was wearing soaked the water up nicely

[Edited on 8/5/11 by gaz_gaz]

Steve Hignett

posted on 8/5/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
+23 for R888's in the wet, you just have to work them real hard to get a bit of temp in them and they are fine IMO... Course, if you crash in that warm-up time, I take no responsibility

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.