Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cost of upgrade from pinto to zetec/BEC?
markmcc21

posted on 23/3/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cost of upgrade from pinto to zetec/BEC?

Hi all, iv had a good few hours searching around the net and i cant really find any guidelines on this. im looking into buying a 2.0 pinto powered mac and n the near future would like to change the engine. has anyone got any ideas on how much it would cost for a pro to change this to say a 170 zetec or a typical R1/blade engine? the whole cost? im thinking about 4k or is that well out?

Cheers.

daniel mason

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
it depends on the mangement/dash/exhaust you use really. these items can start to really add up
if you go bec you will need new rev gauge etc as it revs so much higher. new diff to lengthen the gearing, etc. you could easily spend £4k on bits before any labour costs if you buy good components. or it could be done on a budget with carbs etc

markmcc21

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Daniel, i received ur message, thanks for the help but unfortunately i dont think i could complete a build myself. i dont have the space or technical knowledge to be confident enough. The 2 cars im looking into are both pinto powered cars from 3.3k to 4.3k so budgeting in another 4 to 5k shortly afterwards to make the cars alot more up to date seems like the way it might be. If we are talking more than 5k then i think id just have to wait and save the cash up and buy a car with a zetec or BEC already installed for the going rate of 7 to 8k these days.
daniel mason

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
u2u sent

wylliezx9r

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Depending on what engine you go for I think you an do it for far less than 4 k.
Eg: R1 engine 1k, exhaust £400, clocks 250 (ace well koso etc), prop 200, Shorten and baffle sump £100 , power commander £ 300 ( jetting a carbed engine far less), engine cradle £100. All the prices are estimates but I've built a BEC on a budget myself so are realistic.
Obviously I haven't included every last item but it gives a good idea.
HTH Dan

[Edited on 24/3/13 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

markmcc21

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
cheers ^ nice to know it is probs going to be realistically affordable now if it was the bike engine route i went down (still indecisive) then id probs stick with the litre engines as they do seem cheaper and more choice/spares around etc.
wylliezx9r

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmcc21
cheers ^ nice to know it is probs going to be realistically affordable now if it was the bike engine route i went down (still indecisive) then id probs stick with the litre engines as they do seem cheaper and more choice/spares around etc.

Yes the litre engines are far more affordable, ZX12R's go for reasonable money also so may be worth looking out for. Busa's and ZZR 1400 engines go for silly money this is the way I wanted to go originally but I've managed to do an S2000 engine cheaper.

[Edited on 24/3/13 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

daniel mason

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
dont forget labour cost. with those figures plus a diff at £2500ish £4k will be a struggle if you need setup time on dyno and front suspension adjustments (spring poundages etc)

markmcc21

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
jesus christ an s2000 engine in a 500kg car!? and just as surprising u managed to do it cheaper then a busa engine! im totally new to the kit car industry so ill stick to the safety of just around 170bhp for now
ReMan

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmcc21
jesus christ an s2000 engine in a 500kg car!? and just as surprising u managed to do it cheaper then a busa engine! im totally new to the kit car industry so ill stick to the safety of just around 170bhp for now

Theres nothing safe about 170 in one of these!

If your not building yourself, I'd advocate buying, the route you want and not trying to change it. ie Buy a CEC and leave it as is or sell it and buy a BEC if you fancy

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

markmcc21

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the advise ReMan, i hant bought a car yet but i plan to view 2 pinto ones when i get back from sea and 2 nice guys on here are willing to take me out in their zetec and (i think its a bike powered) mnr.. so it will be a good chance to compare the two and go from there. so spending each day online looking for a second hand bargain! i guess if i buy a pinto it would be safe to say id be ok to change it to a zetec in the future? or just wait and buy a zetec car when i can afford it?
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/3/13 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Having read this, I would certainly ask one (pretty) fundamental question.... why on earth would you wish to replace the Pinto with anything else? The Pinto was, is and remains, the finest kit car engine available. Modest tuning will release several hundred horsepower, without affecting reliability.

Seriously though, if insanity presists and the lure of sensibility wains, I'd recommend you acquire a BEC **from the outset**. There are plenty to choose from in the 2nd market right now, some sensibly and realisticallypriced, some with owners in a different dimension. Anything you buy will be a revelation, but from a cost viewpoint might be best sticking to some of the more popular engines (R1 etc.). Honda blade motors will (apparently) withstand a nuclear war, plenty around too.

Never been a better time. Enjoy.

me!

posted on 24/3/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with buying a car of the final spec you want rather than buying and modifying. I did the buy and modify thing and it is amazing how quickly it all adds up. Especially if you can't do the work yourself- I've no idea how many hours I've put into mine but I wouldn't want to pay the labour charges!! If your not dead set on an MNR you should be able to get a nice zetec car for £5-6k, BEC probably a bit more
markmcc21

posted on 25/3/13 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
yeh guys, looks like im going to wait and buy a car that either has the zetec engine i want already in or the bike engine i want (R1/blade etc) iv done the modifying thing with hot hatches etc and it does seem to be a bottomless pit. i just heard a few things about the pinto engine that was enough to put me off it.
me!

posted on 26/3/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's not exactly what you were after, but worth a look? http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=179932

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.