Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear Errors
joneh

posted on 16/11/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Top Gear Errors

Anyone else notice the continuity errors with the Renualt? Black recarro seats changing into the originals and back again on the laps.

Just me? Does this make me sad? Or is it sadder posting about it on a forum?

blakep82

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
yes, all of the above

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hellbent345

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
haha i noticed and commented on it too!
JoelP

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
i predicted most of the lap times

They could have done so much better if they just started by ripping everything out.

omega0684

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
what do you think they will do with all the bits, £2000 worth of suspension £3000 brake package! £600 alloys + tyres i wouldn't mind getting some of that as rejects
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
they got bits out some cars they built years ago. there's your answer nothing! they seem to keep all the cars they've built/wrecked lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/11/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
was I wrong in thinking the car in the studio at the end was a VW? not the renult?
smart51

posted on 16/11/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Having heard top gear tonight, on Friday as part of Children in Need and last week on their american road trip, I still prefer the old music to the new. Am I the only one? Who prefers the original top gear theme tune?
britishtrident

posted on 17/11/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Ttop Gear is like a train wreck to watch --- high time the grossly over paid Clarkson was put out to grass his ego is out of control.
speedyxjs

posted on 17/11/08 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
For the money they had to spend, all they needed to do (imo) is strip out as much of the interior as poss, strap on a supercharger and give it new rubber and suspension

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 17/11/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
OK, here's a question, why did fitting "better" brakes and larger rims slow the car down by a couple of seconds a lap?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 17/11/08 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I guess the bigger wheels had a larger diameter and so upped the gearing, slower off the mark and out of corners??

Top gear IMHO is a laugh to watch but no longer for petrol heads, it's more a three comedians show with cars as a sideline. Still, good fodder for Dave, otherwise would have to watch daytime with my cuppa!

iank

posted on 17/11/08 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
That and increased weight, sprung and sprung rotating weight as well which about the worst kind you can think of adding.

The whole having to improve brakes when you up power is an utter crock.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 17/11/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
i love Top Gear and find it very entertaining. However the Renault bit made them look like total idiots and wasted a good lump of the programme - did they not have anything better to report on so had to dig out an old idea?

i found it a bit infuriation that they had such a budget and couldnt do anything with it. Seeing as trackdays are so common these days why cant they do a semi-serious feature of taking a more credible car and turning it into a serious toy for not a lot of money.

BenB

posted on 17/11/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I would of liked a more geeky episode where they actually made a car go faster by discussing power:weight, suspension design, engine porting etc etc!!!

The "we're stupid so this won't work" has worn a bit thin. Why not actually use TG to look at what makes a car go fast??

Duncan_P

posted on 17/11/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
OK, here's a question, why did fitting "better" brakes and larger rims slow the car down by a couple of seconds a lap?

I did wonder this as well for a bit.

The total wheel diameter looked about the same as the new tyres were lower profile so im not sure how much difference this would make. Which let me to think that either....

The brakes weren't bedded in properly, quite likely knowing those 3 which might well have given them effectively worse brakes.

Or they didn't put them on/bleed them correctly (also possible) again giving them worse brakes than they started with.

britishtrident

posted on 17/11/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan_P
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

I did wonder this as well for a bit.

The total wheel diameter looked about the same as the new tyres were lower profile so im not sure how much difference this would make. Which let me to think that either....

The brakes weren't bedded in properly, quite likely knowing those 3 which might well have given them effectively worse brakes.

Or they didn't put them on/bleed them correctly (also possible) again giving them worse brakes than they started with.

Simply the existing brakes were up to the job the ABS would also be tuned to them, the new bigger brakes probably never even got to working temperature on a single lap. Bling isn't always the best way to go, in fact it usually isn't.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 17/11/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

Why do you think that? The brakes on some productions cars are barely adequate for the cars standard performance.

DIY Si

posted on 17/11/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Why do you think that? The brakes on some productions cars are barely adequate for the cars standard performance.

In this case though, a decent pad change would probably have been sufficient. They certainly did not need £3000 worth of shiny brakes fit for a race car. That money would have been a lot of extra power.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

iank

posted on 18/11/08 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

The key word is 'having' I object to people repeating old saws like that without even taking the time to think about why they need them, of course if the OEM equipment are marginal then there will be a benefit, but that's nothing to do with engine power.

As I'm sure you know the brakes only see the energy they need to convert to heat, so good reasons for upgrade would be higher weight, higher speeds, or fading too quickly for the type of driving you're doing.

Some brakes are well over spec'ed for the car - my missus' 1.2 Punto is way overbraked IMO, stands on it's nose with even a light press of the pedal.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.