Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting wheelarches.
Neil P

posted on 11/1/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting wheelarches.

I have a pair of rear arches that are a bit too wide.
I want to narrow them down a bit and wondered if anyone has advice on how to do it.
I need to cut them down by about 45mm which I'm going to take from the inside. This will cut off the moulded flange and the question really is should I take a strip out and try to bond the flange back on using glassfibre for a larger surface to bolt or rivet or just cut off the flange and bond the arch directly to the body with PU adhesive. Will that have sufficient strength?
I've heard all sorts of wonderful things about PU adhesives but as a first time builder I have no experience of what it is really capable of.

Neil

Hellfire

posted on 11/1/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, Id cut the flange off and bond another flange back on using a fibreglass kit.

Phil

02GF74

posted on 11/1/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ that sounds like a lot of t***ting about - what about getting correct width arches and selling the ones you have?

I can understand needing to do this if you car was in some way unique but wheelarches come in different sizes and colours.

[Edited on 11/1/09 by 02GF74]

londonsean69

posted on 11/1/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you're happy with doing that sort of work (cut and shut) then just get a pair of ebay the right size, then tart them up.

I see em on there, swith a few scratches etc. for about £25 from time to time. They would just need sanding and paintin, maybe a touch of filler

If yours are good nick, you should flog em easy to make back the money, and pay for a bit of paint as well

Failing that, you are going to have to cut them, then joint them with fibreglass on the inside, then fill the visible side, then sand, prime and paint.

omega 24 v6

posted on 11/1/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Did mine's this way. Easy job and very minimal filling to the exterior of the wing after reglassing the flange back on.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Neil P

posted on 11/1/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I do like the shape of the ones I have, I'll have a go at cutting and glassing them, then.

Neil

RK

posted on 12/1/09 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
Grinder to cut down the middle. Don't forget you'll lose a bit just by doing that. Search here on "widening arches". It's the same in reverse. I have actually done this successfully with a scuttle.
Neil P

posted on 12/1/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Grinder to cut down the middle. Don't forget you'll lose a bit just by doing that. Search here on "widening arches". It's the same in reverse. I have actually done this successfully with a scuttle

I considered that and it looks like a good option usually because it leaves both edges unaffected. Unfortunately my arches have a sloped rather than flat top and each side would have different radius if you took a section out of the middle.

I think I'm going to try cutting the arch to the right width, mark round the inside radius onto the original flange and cut it so that it fits within the arch then fix it back into place. That should save me having to refinish the outer surface, the actual join will be at the rear of the arch where it sits against the body.

I don't suppose the location of the joint really makes much difference.

Neil

Triton

posted on 12/1/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
It's doddle...cut them down to the size you want then sit the arch on a flat board and lay up inside the arch to get the flange back..thing is cutting them down might alter the diameter of the wing as they usually taper.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/1/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil P
Thanks guys,

I do like the shape of the ones I have, I'll have a go at cutting and glassing them, then.

ok then if you insist..... search forum for how the Whipmeister did it, albeit for front cycle wings but the process would be the same.

Hellfire

posted on 12/1/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
If the edge is bit untidy, you can always use some tadpole trim to hide it.

Phil

alexbishop123

posted on 13/1/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
damn that a big cat!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.