Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: For Sale - Locost 4x4
ewanspence

posted on 12/1/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
For Sale - Locost 4x4

Due to the last few years of not progressing the build, being made redundant (with healthy payoff), finding a new job immediately and being lucky enough to buy an Elise I have decided the Locost has to go.

It is a sad day, I have had fun building it to what it is now, the challenges of getting the 4x4 system in and connected.

The car is a full rolling chassis.

£1500 for the car as is.

Some info on what is included.

Standard chassis with rear double wishbone,, wider front track due to the fron driveshafts, engine sitting a little further back to allow room for front diff.

I have added some pics in my photo archive - all start with "for sale - " http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=ewanspence

I can deliver for the cost of the fuel (I only get 20mpg though).

Donor was a 52,000 miles (so I was told - speedo confirmed) 1985 Sierra 4x4, 2.8 injected v6 cologne engine standard it is 150 BHP so I recon with the exhaust and air intake it must be more than that, 5 speed box with LSD in the box and rear diff. Car is Sorned at the moment. Was a D reg, still have the plates. Kept the chassis plate etc. firing harness fitted, ecu and fuse box mounted, rack in, column and universal joints in

Front diff installed, front prop lengthened, rear prop shortened, box fitted, handbrake fitted, engine fitted, original sierra heater fitted,

Rear double wishbone suspension
Mini brake valve
steel petrol tank
bmw radiator
grey gel coat nose cone.
braided flexi hoses x4

Modified front suspension to take standard sierra steering rack and standard sierra driveshafts.

All wishbones made from seamless gass pipe for extra strength.

Pair of chrome side pipes/silencers. I have also kept the sierra boxes (the first ones in the system not the big rear boxes, these may help at time of SVA should sound be an issue. Down pipes were being fashioned when my priorities changed and they were never completed.

New Small sports steering wheel (also have original Sierra one for SVA if required.

Standard sierra 4x4 alloys but spare 5 spoke alloys included See pic of spare alloys.

Jag xj6 coil overs fitted - after market adjustables available seperate (£200)

Jag xj6 gauges speedo modified to use sierra speedo in the Jag speedo cowling, revs, volts, oil, amps, temp

Payment by bank transfer/cheque/cash, don't like paypal, sorry.

[Edited on 12/1/09 by ewanspence]

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Big Stu

posted on 12/1/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ewan,

How much would the delivery be to Rumford? I seem to remember someone slagging me of for driving one of those "hair dressers cars". Where are you working these days?

All joking aside I am actually interested. What is left to be done, is it manly body work, wiring etc looks. Would the chassis take the fibre glass body for the MK?

I was planning on building a new chassis for mine with the chassis pack I seen on ebay then a new body and transfer all the bits over, but I think it might be easier to look at something like yours.

Speak soon

Stu

ewanspence

posted on 12/1/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Delivery to rumford would be about 75p as it is that close but the 12 hours to dig it out my garage at £45 an hour soon ads up.

More joking aside, Yeh all that is left is body, wiring, connecting the fuel pipes, brake pipes and water works.

The external measurements are the same as the book exepl the bottom chassis rails for the front lower wishbones but this will be where the body panels stop anyway.

Feel free to pop in to see it. I will need a couple of hours warning to tidy the garage to let you see it though. Drop me a u2u for a phone number.

[Edited on 12/1/09 by ewanspence]

Ewan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 12/1/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you get what ou want for it but personally i think £1500 for an engineering project may be a little steep.

in sure there is someone out there waiting to get stuck into that.

ATB
Locoboy

Peteff

posted on 12/1/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stu
. What is left to be done, is it manly body work, wiring etc looks.
Stu

He certainly wouldn't want the girly bodywork ewan, he's got the hairdresser's car now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

alexbishop123

posted on 13/1/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
nice example
ewanspence

posted on 13/1/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
I hope you get what ou want for it but personally i think £1500 for an engineering project may be a little steep.

in sure there is someone out there waiting to get stuck into that.

Thanks for the comments but as you know when you see an advert there has to be a starting price. If it were left out it is worse.

this price is a starting point and I am open to realistic offers. these offers could include the other locost parts I am selling too.

Ewan.

zilspeed

posted on 13/1/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ewan

This cannot be permitted.

You must be the first bloke in the whole world ever to have bought the book.

I've just checked, you were the 12th regsitered member on this site.

There are now 19,797 registered members.

Come one man, keep it and finish it. This is too significant. A Locost started before all of the kit manufacturers jumped on the band wagon.

[Edited on 13/1/09 by zilspeed]

ewanspence

posted on 13/1/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I know exactly what you mean. I remember when this site started as an offspring of a yahoo group where there was a big fall out. I seam to remember that the creator of tis sight started getting a little greif for trying to steal the other sites members......ah those were the days.

Would I get better money if I did finish the car? would it be worth the extra cash and time? would I get my money back?

all questions I have been asking myself.

I also think I have done most of the fun parts (for me anyway).

But who knows, once I dig out the car I may decide it has not to go and get my finger out and finish it.

zilspeed

posted on 13/1/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ewanspence
I know exactly what you mean. I remember when this site started as an offspring of a yahoo group where there was a big fall out. I seam to remember that the creator of tis sight started getting a little greif for trying to steal the other sites members......ah those were the days.

Would I get better money if I did finish the car? would it be worth the extra cash and time? would I get my money back?

all questions I have been asking myself.

I also think I have done most of the fun parts (for me anyway).

But who knows, once I dig out the car I may decide it has not to go and get my finger out and finish it.

And I once met the 'owner' of the original list, Dougie Wells who lives in Livingston. His car was a nice one.

Does TOL (as it was known back then) still exist ?

ewanspence

posted on 14/1/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
tol does still exist, not too busy at the moment, here are the posting statistics by month. yahoo group locost

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2008 11 15 13 14 9 9 12 27 2 4
2007 30 20 1 11 8 26 19 10 3 19 18
2006 91 20 73 57 77 22 37 46 24 18 74 29
2005 122 91 76 77 59 53 40 133 212 60 55 68
2004 374 423 499 348 189 142 75 79 146 167 154 47
2003 524 561 513 368 334 198 207 173 333 310 167 350
2002 1763 1176 481 516 637 422 526 412 420 542 592 386
2001 1357 913 1176 1212 1213 1430 1173 1188 1322 1744 1968 1820
2000 420 782 989 849 1170 1287 1053 1186 691 715 1561 975
1999 78 299 597 365 838 483 624 854 679 705 628 657
1996 3
1995 3

Ewan.

D Beddows

posted on 14/1/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
It would seem we signed up on the same day - over 7 years as a member of an internet forum blimey......... I didn't think it would last 6 months at the time - which is why I didn't put much thought into my username

Liam

posted on 14/1/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Not only one of the earliest locosts started on here, but the very first 4WD. At the rate you were trucking along i was sure you'd be the first 4WD on the road. As it happens, I've hardly sped along for various reasons, and now with my house to build it's on the back burner AGAIN! But it WILL be finished! Who knows though - maybe yours will still be the first 4WD, whether finished by yourself or someone else. You remember Simon Rook's 4WD 'locostesque' project around the time this board started too? Was gonna have an RS200 body. Wonder what happenned to that?

Liam

ewanspence

posted on 14/1/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
those were the days.

simons site is http://www.locost-esque.i12.com/ and looks very similar to it did back then too?

there was another http://www.wurlyvalve.i12.com/ Wurleyvalve (Glen) too, his was 2wd xr4 turbo technics based thing. Atleast he got it finished....

I must say the more I talk about it the more I think I should just get on with it. I have to build a garage/house extension firs though......another delay.

[Edited on 14/1/09 by ewanspence]

Ewan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.