Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats wrong with bread?
MikeR

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with bread?

On the getting fitter thread in Anything else a few people have mentioned that bread isn't good.

I've heard this sort of thing before but i don't know why.

Can anyone explain it to me?

(sat here typing this whilst eating a beef and veg soup with a bread roll)

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
look up the ingredients of bread and you'll see why? It's not as innocent as it looks

Its a bit like mayonnaise, folk go of it once they see how its made!

quote:

Tens of millions of Americans have had success losing excess body fat and keeping it off by REDUCING CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE below FDA recommended daily levels. This is especially true when reducing highly-refined white carbohydrates (like bread products), which rapidly increase blood sugar to dangerous harmful levels and quickly turn into stored body fat.

quote:

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Like most things not good in excess, a slice or 2 a day isn't going hurt a reasonably active person, unless they are wheat intollerant.

Oranges aren't good for you, the acid eats your teeth away, if you eat enough.

and on.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
you may never eat a slice again...

linky

the Molds and Fungi bit is really good

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

orbital

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Whole grain is what you want as far as bread goes.

White bread has had the grain heated so the germ and the bran fall off (the healthy part). All your left with then is the white part, which is starch. Not the best thing in the world for you.

Cheers

Dave

idl1975

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing's actually wrong with bread. Wholegrain is better for you.

There are the usual wacky theories. If you believe them all, I have some magic healing crystals to sell you.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
On the getting fitter thread in Anything else a few people have mentioned that bread isn't good.

I've heard this sort of thing before but i don't know why.

Can anyone explain it to me?

(sat here typing this whilst eating a beef and veg soup with a bread roll)

smart51

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
you may never eat a slice again...

linky

"the modern white-flour-based, disease-causing product incorrectly called “bread.” " Not that they have anything against it. I'd rather believe an unbiased and well written report than this prejudice and self righteous fury, even if it is true.

You can't beat a bit of toast though.

mcerd1

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
look up the ingredients of bread and you'll see why? It's not as innocent as it looks

Its a bit like mayonnaise, folk go of it once they see how its made!

1 answer to both of those - make your own

BenB

posted on 15/1/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.joyfulaging.com/Bread.htm

What a load of BS. A whole page of pseudo-scientific bread related stuff with no references or evidence to support any of it.

Bread is like most things. You eat too much of it it's bad for you. In moderation it's fine.....

bilbo

posted on 15/1/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
You have to be very very careful about everything you read and hear about what is healthy for you and what is bad for you. Most of it is complete BS. It's basically a war of marketing waged by different groups, mainly the food companies themeselves with products to sell, or competitor products to nobble.
Don't forget, this so called 'Independant' reasearch has to be paid for by someone

I just get very angry about this whole 'food police' nonsense. I'm sure most things in moderation are fine for you, including white bread, provided you have a well balanced diet and some exercise.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Vindi_andy

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
beware of the blue mould on bread tho it highly carcenogenic ( cancer forming)

My dad had a work colleague who actually like the taste of it and would just eat it on its own. He died aged 52 of stomach cancer

carpmart

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
beware of the blue mould on bread tho it highly carcenogenic ( cancer forming)

My dad had a work colleague who actually like the taste of it and would just eat it on its own. He died aged 52 of stomach cancer

Sh*t - how was it established that the mould was to blame?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

zilspeed

posted on 15/1/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I lost 4 1.2 stone last year and never stopped eating bread. If I had to give up bread, I wouldn't have bothered. A fresh french baquette is one of the joys of life.

As is a cheese and onion toastie.

Or toast and bacon.

Or fried eggs and toast.

Give up bread ?
Feck that.

JoelP

posted on 15/1/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
i sometimes eat a loaf a day! Ive had 10 slices already today
MikeRJ

posted on 15/1/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Give up bread ?
Feck that.

Totally agree. Have a look at this and you'll see why most of the information in Whippys link is complete horsepoo. People have been eating bread made from wheat flour for at least 8000 years.

Blaming the American obesity problem on bread is simply laughable, if you wrap a chunk of fatty meat and cheese up in a roll, and then you can hardly blame the bread when it makes you fat

James

posted on 15/1/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
There is nothing at all wrong with quality (ideally whole grain) brown bread according to one of my best friends who's a qualified NHS dietician.

But, even when eating brown bread, if it's the branded, heavily processed type, you want to be careful with your salt intake.
It can be as much as 0.5g per slice.

The government RDA is 6.0g per day, and that figure was only chosen as it was half of the average daily amount in the UK. It should in fact be closer to 3.0g per day but this was considered an unachievable goal.

That's if you want to avoid high blood pressure and the associated heart disease!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mr henderson

posted on 15/1/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bread is a proper Englishman's food. The only white bread I ever eat is 'French' bread, very occasionally. Normally it's the Warburtons Seeded Batch which is yummy yummy yummy, especially toasted

John

David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
My wife bakes her own brown bread - yummy! And I know exactly what's gone into it (and, before anyone says it, she's careful about the flour she uses).

mr henderson

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Anyine who needs convincing should try a cheddar cheese sandwich with mayonnaise, or, better still, some sandwich spread.

But brown, not white. Ordinary sliced white bread is the culinary equivalent of lager and lime

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.