Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR MX5 progress
road warrior

posted on 4/3/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
MNR MX5 progress

Hi All

I finally found some time to spend on the car this week. It is the base MX5 kit with a 2.0L Duratec and 5 speed gearbox.

Sonja

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/3/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
thats a nice looking chassis. Good to get it on its wheels

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 4/3/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have you used the Duratec mounted to an MX5 gearbox? ive read that that the duratec are based on the same mazda design engine, but could'nt find a definitive answer on whether they would mate up with any messing?

Also the engine looks quite high in the chassis, it looks like it might be close to the top of the bonnet?

Agriv8

posted on 4/3/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I understood that the duratec is mazda engine re-badged ( thus the break away from the ford gearbox mouting pattern that been around since crosflow times ).

Are tou running MX5 uprights or cortina ?

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

road warrior

posted on 5/3/09 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
The car is the base MX5 kit from MNR so it runs full NB running gear except the engine is current NC MX5 and so is the gearbox and dash.

The block is slightly different to the Focus with stuff like dipstick location and mounts for engine orientation. This is a far more cost effective solution and a lot less aggro.

Davey - The engine does look high but it does fit under the bonnet . I hope to get the bodywork on this week so will post pics but we have trial fitted it to get the engine location correct. Off topic but what RAL code is your car. I really like the yellow.

Davey D

posted on 5/3/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
checking on google

NC = current MX5?
NB = previous Gen MX5?

so if im reading you right you can mount a duratec engine to the previous gen of MX5 gearbox? is it a straight fit?

if thats the case you could even get a 6speed box from a 10th anniversary then?

I remember my colour is called Signal Yellow.

Just checked on Google and that comes back as RAL1003 it is a really nice strong yellow. not one of those wishy-washy pastle yellows you can get. Looks really good against the black carbon fibre ive got

road warrior

posted on 5/3/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Davey

"so if im reading you right you can mount a duratec engine to the previous gen of MX5 gearbox? is it a straight fit?"

No - NC Duratec must go with NC gearbox. It is a straight fit but engine must cant over at 10 degrees as it is in the MX5. It can be 5 or 6 speed but must be current series. The 6 speed is a lot bigger though.

The Wiki info is pretty good.

There is a better engine shot on the MNR forum.

Thanks for the colour info.

Sonja

Dom C

posted on 5/3/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Your rolling chassis looks awesome! I was wondering (as Im thinking of an MNR myself) what your budget was for your build, and how cost effective/cheaply though thats the wrong word I could make one for (started saving up, but itll take a while I think!!).
I think from the MNR website that the Mazda based car is the cheaper -but still great - option. Good luck with the build (Im thinking of British racing green with black front cycle wings)

road warrior

posted on 5/3/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dom

I am assuming you are in the UK?

We are the Australian agents for MNR so I can't really answer your question in relevant money terms. The kit costs more for us because it has to be shipped to the other side of the world but the Jap parts may be cheaper than the UK?

Marc would be able to give you a better idea of UK prices.

I'll keep updating here so stay tuned.

Regards
Sonja

Agriv8

posted on 5/3/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dom C
Your rolling chassis looks awesome! I was wondering (as Im thinking of an MNR myself) what your budget was for your build, and how cost effective/cheaply though thats the wrong word I could make one for (started saving up, but itll take a while I think!!).
I think from the MNR website that the Mazda based car is the cheaper -but still great - option. Good luck with the build (Im thinking of British racing green with black front cycle wings)

Dom it is hoped that an mx 5 chassis will be at the newark show, nothing definate but if you need more info an email to chris @ mnr should answer your questions.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

road warrior

posted on 7/3/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
With clothes on....

Adam R.

posted on 24/5/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
road warrior NC flywheel are the same as mondeo duratec ?
road warrior

posted on 30/5/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I can't be of much help. I believe the NC has a lightened flywheel as standard from Mazda but I am not sure what the Mondeo has.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.