Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very odd VFR800i Problem - Geniuses, this one's for you
jambojeef

posted on 14/3/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Very odd VFR800i Problem - Geniuses, this one's for you

Right then,

Gonna need some help here! Just bought a 2001 Honda VFR800 as a project bike - its been mucked around with it bit but getting to the bottom of the matter it doesnt start.

There is no spark and the "FI" light is on.

Fuel pump doesnt prime when the ign is first turned on which it should - and heres the weird bit - if you just leave the ign on and scratch your head (believe me Ive tried!) it clicks a bit and then the fuel pump runs for a few seconds - during which time its filled one of the front cylinders with fuel!

Whats going on? Have checked the resistance of the injectors and they are all within range + ive tested virtually all of the sensors and they are also within range.

Any help extremely gratefully received!!

Geoff

owelly

posted on 14/3/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel rail pressure switch cut out?
Having a haed that clicks can't be helping...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 14/3/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have you whipped the injextor out and tried them?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jambojeef

posted on 14/3/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the suggestion - no I havent taken the injectors out - the reason being I can't connect the tank and take the injectors out at the same time owing to the HP fuel hose being really short.

Also - just checked the wiring diagram and there isnt a pressure "swtich" as such - just a regulator on the end of the fuel rail.

Geoff

jambojeef

posted on 14/3/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, after a bit more poking around - the injectors are constantly open when connected to their harness.

I have yet to discover whether they are doing this because they're being told to by the ECU or there is a short in the wiring...

A job for tomrrow perhaps!

(Hope it is the ECU - Ive just ordered another one and it wasnt cheap!!)

Geoff

stevebubs

posted on 14/3/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambojeef
during which time its filled one of the front cylinders with fuel!

Sounds like a short in the injector wiring. Had this on my dad's Rover 75 when some muppet didn't route the wiring loom properly after fixing a cooling problem.

omega 24 v6

posted on 14/3/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
It's normal for the inj to be switched negative through the ecu. Easy enough to unplug the loom ???? If so meter between the inj neg and ground if it reads clear your OK if not you've got a short.
BUT if it's clear (and i don't no owt about bikes) when the looms disconnected at the ecu then I'd suspect the internal ecu transistors the do the switching Sorry i hope it's not that.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

jonno

posted on 14/3/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

(Hope it is the ECU - Ive just ordered another one and it wasnt cheap!!)
Geoff

sorry cannot help but theres one on ebay !! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-HONDA-VFR800-VFR-800-VFR800F-CDI-IGNITER-ECU_W0QQitemZ370168191630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item370168 191630&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

having fun on a budget

tks

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
It's normal for the inj to be switched negative through the ecu. Easy enough to unplug the loom ???? If so meter between the inj neg and ground if it reads clear your OK if not you've got a short.
BUT if it's clear (and i don't no owt about bikes) when the looms disconnected at the ecu then I'd suspect the internal ecu transistors the do the switching Sorry i hope it's not that.

mhh you ned to specify more clearly what you are measuring voltage???resistance???

if you just put contact on you need to measure 12volts on both of the terminals.

has the 2001 bike got hiss??
If the FI light stays lit i would do a read up...because it needs to turn off after a while...

You need to join the 2 wres close to the ecm its the diagnose mode connector. join them and then put contact on.

if you do it right the light will start blinking. small blinks are ones, large blinks are tenths for example

2x short blinks and a large one means

12 = "Injector number 1 failure"

if it stays lit, then you can have a number of failures.

[Edited on 15/3/09 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.